westholm/westhome Boys institution?

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

winger

westholm/westhome Boys institution?

Post by winger » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi, Just found a record for my Uncle Matthew (Matt) McCann, born 1910 in Glasgow who is listed on his fathers poorlaw as being in Westholm institution. The record is from 1934 - and says that matthew was an inmate until 1930 and then his where abouts is unknown. I have never heard of this place and wondered if anyone knew any further details on it.
thanks.

Currie

Re: westholm/westhome Boys institution?

Post by Currie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:03 am

Hello Winger,

I’m getting absolutely nowhere with this. All I’ve managed to stumble across is a West House at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Mental Disorders, which was operating in the 1930’s, and is mentioned here, and is probably no help at all. http://www.worldcat.org/identities/nc-r ... st%20house?

All the best,
Alan

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi winger, Alan
The closest I can find at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/ was Westhulme in Oldham , which apparently dealt with infectious diseases . It's a bit far from Glasgow, I know, perhaps he had something unusual / serious enough ?

Sally

winger

Post by winger » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:48 pm

hi
thanks for checking it out for me - I couldn't find anything either - I think it is really unlikely he would have been sent to England, I have to say reading through the record it doesn't sound like he was ill - I was thinking more that it was a Borstal or some sort of supervisory home rather than a hospital facility - just the way it is recorded - I will maybe send a note to the Mitchell to see if they have any record, if I do find anything I will let you all know.
thanks again for trying

Christine.