hospitals

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

rosie

hospitals

Post by rosie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Has anyone ever heard of Mavis Valley Sanatorium. ](*,) I know Mavis Valley of Bishopbriggs but i've never heard of a Sanatorium there. Could it be somwhere else? Any info would be appreciated :D
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)

Montrose Budie

Re: hospitals

Post by Montrose Budie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:49 pm

rosie wrote:Has anyone ever heard of Mavis Valley Sanatorium. ](*,) I know Mavis Valley of Bishopbriggs but i've never heard of a Sanatorium there. Could it be somwhere else? Any info would be appreciated :D
Nope !, as regards a sanatorium there, and a Google doesn't help.

But Mavis Valley as a place did exist, a large mining village close to present day Bishopbriggs, which, once the pit was worked out, the village declined severely, to the extent that, today, the placename is largely unknown.

Given that it was 'out in the country' with respect to the city of Glasgow, so with better air! (the rich went to Switzerland) it's not surprising that someone suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis was sent there, or nearby .........

And I can guarantee you from some research many years ago that there isn't another 'Mavis Valley' anywhere else in Scotland, although there's at least one in the USofA !

I'm at a loss to think of another sanatorium that could have been linked with Mavis Valley.

Given the prevalance of 'consumption' there were many sanatoria around Glasgow, and it's distinctly possible that one of these has been somehow linked with Mavis Valley.

mb

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi Rosie

Can you give us some idea of the date for when you have seen it mentioned? Also, where is it mentioned, what type of document - on a death entry maybe?

Best wishes
Lesley

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi Rosie,

On the old maps on the NLS website, Mavis Valley, Bishopbriggs shows up as a cluster of cottages, with nearby coal and ironstone pits. There is nothing shown as a sanatorium on the maps that I viewed. The Scotsman Archives make no mention of a sanatorium there. Most mentions of Mavis Valley, Bishopbriggs are concerning mining accidents, the poor condition of the miners rows and school problems; again no mention of a sanatorium there.

All the best,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 am

Mavis Valley is only mentioned twice in the 19th Century British Library newspapers. In 1871 it was a notice in ‘lost and found’ that a dog would be sold if the owner didn’t come forward. It was the same thing in 1874 but a different dog.

There was a Community Service Club in Mavis Valley in the 1930s. Maybe that was somewhere you could have a rest and get away from it all. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=8i ... lley&hl=en

Alan

rosie

Post by rosie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:21 am

Hello
I am very shamefaced :oops:
After reading all your replys and going back and looking at the information I had, I realised that I made a BIG BLUNDER by not reading the certificate properly :roll:.It turns out that Mavis Vallely is actually Manor Valley County Peeble. #-o I did a quick google search and found out that a sanatorium called Manor Valley is there. My ancestor was there in 1926.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP IT WAS NOT WASTED AS I HAVE ANCESTORS FROM BISHOPBRIGGS TOO. :D

Thanks Rosie
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi Rosie,

It was also known as Caverhill Sanatorium, and can be found by that name in square C3 on the following map.

http://www.nls.uk/maps/os/view/?sid=74400719

All the best,

AndrewP

rosie

Post by rosie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks Andrew :)

dizzybint

Post by dizzybint » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 pm

many hospitals were turned into sanitoriums during the TB epedimics of the forties and fifties.. one was Belvidere in Glasgow.