Mitchell Library Lookup Please

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

GlendaT

Mitchell Library Lookup Please

Post by GlendaT » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:20 pm

If anyone is visiting the Mitchell Library would you be kind enough to look up Mary Ann McGhee (nee Boyd), Widow of John McGhee, Labourer. Her death certificate says she was 84 years old when she died on March 28th, 1902 at Barnhill Poorhouse, Glasgow, which was her usual residence.
The 1901 Census listed her as born in Ireland but no town or county named. I would like to know where in Ireland she was born and how long she was at Barnhill and if she had any children living at the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Glenda

nelmit

Re: Mitchell Library Lookup Please

Post by nelmit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:31 am

If you are willing to wait till the end of April I'll have a look at the index.

Regards,
Annette

GlendaT

Post by GlendaT » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:34 am

Hi Annette,

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Glenda

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:37 pm

The only one I could find for Mary was made in July 1881. It was another one of those very hard to read water damaged applications.

Widow John McGhee Mary Ann Boyd
48 Bell Street, Calton 64 years

Born Ireland - Protestant - Widow

Occupation - Washer
Reason - Injury to hip

Family - Jane 36 born Belfast married to Thomas Allan shoemaker with whom she resides.

Married 40 years Antrim.

There was an addition in pencil - Jane McGhee states that she never was married to Allan.

I'll keep a note of the names in my book for next time.

I take it you have seen them in 1881 at Calton -

Thomas Allan 48 shoemaker
Jane Allan 44
Mary McGee 60
John McGee 16
Ellen Pitt 10
Martha Allan 3

Regards,
Annette

GlendaT

Post by GlendaT » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:01 am

Mary Ann McGhee probably became a permanent resident when she entered in July 1881 because she is still at Barnhill in the 1891.

I hope you can find an application for her daughter Jane McGee.

Jane McGee, Single, Cleaner.
When & Where Died: 1895 February 23rd at 5h 15m P. M. at Barnhill Poorhouse, Glasgow, Usual Residence.
Name, Surname & Occupation of Father: John McGee, Sawyer (deceased).
Name & Maiden Surname of Mother: Mary Ann McGee, M. S. Boyd (deceased).

I assume Jane McGee entered Barnhill sometime after her partner Thomas Allan died.

Thomas Allan, Pauper, formerly a Shoemaker (Journeyman),
When & Where Died: 1891 September 24th at 7h 55m A. M. at City Poorhouse, Glasgow, Usual Residence: 4 Calton Entry, Glasgow.
Name, Surname & Occupation of Father: James Allan, Tailor (Journeyman), (deceased).
Name & Maiden Surname of Mother: Jane Allan M. S. Gillespie, (deceased).

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Glenda

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi Glenda,

The poorhouse records are indexed by surname (maiden and married if appropriate) which has got to be exact, given name, year and place of birth.

The details on her death entry would have been taken from the info she gave when she applied for poor relief.
So I looked for Jane McGee, born 1833 Ireland. There were about 9 Jane McGees indexed but not one who was born in 1833 although there were some born in the 1830s. I did try McGhee and varients but wasn't hopeful as Jane herself had given her name as McGee as per her death entry.

She may have applied before and given a different age and or surname spelling and that may be how it is indexed. The later application may then have been added to the first.

So theoretically I will have to ask for 5 or more volumes to be brought up from the archives to see if I can find the correct one. I didn't have enough time for that so will try again at a later date.

The other alternative is that the volume didn't survive but most of the Barnhill volumes from that era are good so I am hopeful that it is there somewhere.

Hope that all makes sense.

Regards,
Annette