barnhill poorhouse denniston

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

valerie kenny

barnhill poorhouse denniston

Post by valerie kenny » Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm

i have a gt.gt. grandfather richard davies died in barnhill poorhouse denniston 1904. i have never looked into poorhouses but was really surprised to discover richard there as for most of his life he lived in edinburgh and since marriage to herietta tait resided at 1 gilchrist entry greenside place edinburgh. can anyone tell me how or why he would end up in glasgow he was not with the family on the 1891 census. henrietta was still at 1 gilchrist entry edin when she died in 1915.
also death cert. does not list usual residence its left blank it think john cameron assistant governer informed death,

nelmit

Re: barnhill poorhouse denniston

Post by nelmit » Sun May 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Hello Valerie,

The poorhouse application should reveal why Richard was there - they are usually very informative.

Probably won't be there for a while but, if you don't live near Glasgow, I can have a look at it next time I'm at The Mitchell if you want.

Regards,
Annette

valerie kenny

Post by valerie kenny » Sun May 08, 2011 9:50 pm

i am in livingston but dont know glasgow at all and have no idea where the library is or what info it has but going by the posts its very informative i usually just go to edinburgh gro. i would apprieciate any look up you are willing to do for me and quite happy to wait until you have time.
thank you in advance

valerie

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi Valerie,

Application for Richard Davies made on 25th November 1898.

Richard Davies, Garscube Road, shoemaker age 63. Protestant.

Marital Staus - Widower :shock:
Disability - abscesses

Wife - Henrietta Tait, 63 born Shetland died at High School Yard, Edinburgh 4 years ago.

Son of William Davies, shoemaker and Maria Thomas both dead.

Children -

William age 30 born Greenside Place, Edinburgh. Tilelayer, married + 3 children. Last known address Fountain Close, Edinburgh.
Richard age 26 born Greenside Place, Edinburgh, labourer, single. Residence unknown.

Settlement - England

Married 6/62 at Down? Broughton St, Edinburgh.

He later mentioned Jessie being married to a bookbinder.

Admitted to poorhouse 25/11/98

Pauper has been unsettled for years. (it listed the many models he had lived at around Glasgow and Midlothian)

26/12/1900 he was admitted again and left 31/12/1901
admitted again 30/12/1902 with a weak leg and died 9/6/04.

The application was fairly clear and if you email The Mitchell they will copy it and send it to you. It shouldn't cost more than a couple of pounds. The application number is D HEW 10/5/99 25 - don't forget to give his name as this tome has 2 books within it.

Regards,
Annette

valerie kenny

Post by valerie kenny » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:27 pm

WOW that is really interesting thank you very much . to list his status widower was very naughty i can only assume he was asked to leave or left of his own choice to see he had been in to or 3 times was also interesting. i will e-mail and ask for a copy .all the names mentioned are correct his father mother and wifes wow thank you again.
best wishes
valerie