Poorhouse record look-up please?

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

Re: Poorhouse record look-up please?

Post by ninatoo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 am

Hi Annette,

I'd appreciate it very much if you could look for her (it's MARGARET Gordon, formerly Brady) married to Patrick. I am happy to wait, because I am just thankful you are willing to even look for me!!!

Sorry I've taken a few days to reply....it's been a bit hectic around here lately!!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 am

Here's Margaret's application -

Widow Patrick Gordon - Margaret Brady
applied April 1904 from 9 Gt Hamilton st
Born Enniskillen, Ireland
Age - 70 Widow Domestic RC
Married 49 years ago at Ireland
Defective Vision

Father John Brady clothes dealer and Margaret McNaught both dead.

Husband Patrick Gordon, Born Monaghan died 11 years ago son of Michael Gordon, farmer and ....................

Children-
John 46 born Enniskillen w + 8 baker resides Ballyhog Monaghan
Hugh 44 born Enniskillen md + 6 clothes dealer + JP ? resides Fermanagh Clones??
Thomas 42 born Enniskillen md + 6 Shoemaker resides Water St Enniskillen
Helen 31 Enniskillen md + 3 to william McCormick slater's labourer resides here

Supported by daughter applies for admission to poorhouse. Daughter can't get any of the family to assist her and she can't keep her any longer.

Referred to Stobhill 28/6/1904
Died 30/9/1904

Plenty of detail there to find the sons in the Irish census records. :D

Regards,
Annette

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 am

Wow, that's great Annette! Thank you so much!

But I never knew about the son John or Thomas...though it was the Hugh I was trying to prove was hers. AND she doesn't mention her son Frances who was living in Calton....very strange!

It looks like I will be busy with the Irish censuses!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:22 am

I had a quick look for Hugh and he's at Clones right enough but at Co Monaghan.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Annette,

Yes I have him as well. I managed to find the John and Thomas mentioned as well. It was great to find Hugh mentioned because it connects with another researcher who is descended from him. I never knew about Hugh because he never came to live in Scotland, and was never mentioned until this poorhouse record. Even the name Hugh didn't pop up in the names of any children, so there wasn't a clue there. This research also makes Margaret and husband Patrick a little bit older than first thought, too.

I am wondering why on earth Margaret named Patrick's father as Michael and no mother's name? She must have known the mother was Rose Murray Gordon as she died in Scotland at a brother of Patrick's home. Almost like she was hiding the connection with Patrick for some reason. I wonder if he was known to the Parochial board, and not in a good way?

Speculations........ :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for AGAIN filling in some of my tree! =D> =D> =D>

Nina

Seamas

Gordons of Enniskillen.

Post by Seamas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:31 am

I am surprised that no-one has pointed out that the Gordon family are still in Enniskillen. Descendants of Patrick and Margaret lived in Water Street until the 1970s when that street was demolished. Patrick was originally a mail/stage coach driver (horse-driven of course) but this business collapsed with the arrival of the railways to Enniskillen in the 1850s. The Bradys were second-hand clothes dealers who lived on the same street and also sold clothes from a stand on the Diamond (town square). Water Street/Lane runs directly off the main square of Enniskillen, under the shadow of the town hall.
There were only two Gordon families in Enniskillen, the other family were Methodists and came from the Church Hill, Derrygonnelly area and had a large shop in Church Street.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm

Well that's an interesting post! Welcome to the board, Seamas! It hasn't been pointed out because I didn't know there were any left in the whole of Ireland until recently. Do you have a family connection?

The earliest record I have of Patrick is on Griffiths Valuations from 1848-1860, where he is at Water Street, and again in Water Street in 1880 in a directory I found online. He was a clothes dealer then. In 1887 in Glasgow he listed his occupation as hostler on the birht registration of his son Bartley, and I often wondered how that came about!

I would love to know how you came about your information. Ellen Gordon, daughter of Patrick and Margaret Brady was my gg grandmother. Her daughter was my mother's much loved grandmother, and I do the research on them as much as a labour of love for her as anything!

Nina

Seamas

Gordons of Enniskillen

Post by Seamas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Hello Nina,
I'm from Enniskillen myself and was at school with some of the Gordons. Off the top of my head I think they are descendants of Thomas, whose son was Gildas, whose son was Leo, whose family I know. Leo's widow, Debbie, died last month aged 89. You may be able to find her obituary on the website of the local newspaper, The Impartial Reporter. Leo was a house painter and decorator, and a very special person who was renowned as a healer. He had a great interest in people and gathered a whole lot of information which was published in a book called 'Enniskillen in the Rare Ould Times (Vol. 1) - by 'the Millennium Babes'. It's full of old photos of Enniskillen people, and lots of people have contributed their memoirs to it. The book also has a big chunk of Leo's autobiography - unfortunately he died c2000 before completing it. His daughter has published two more volumes in the series - with lots more Enniskillen people telling their stories. These books are not about old history, mostly from the 1920s to 1960s. The Gordons are a very popular and greatly respected family here.
I know about the earlier history because I have been researching Enniskillen in the 19th century and have gone through the Catholic parish baptism and marriage records. Also there was a contributor to the Impartial Reporter in the 1920-1940 period called Joseph Gallagher (1850-1941) who wrote over three hundred articles about Enniskillen in his early days. His father was also a coach driver and lived in Cross Street, just around the corner from the Gordons. He only mentions them once or twice by name but the circumstances of the two families must have been very similar.
So there is plenty of stuff available - the big job is to get it into some sort of order and make it more widely available which is what I'm trying to do at the moment.
As the family have just lost their beloved mother and grandmother I don't think anyone should be contacting them about genealogy just now. However in a few months time I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.
Best wishes,

Seamas

Seamas

Post by Seamas » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Marriage of Patrick Gordon and Margaret Brady in Enniskillen RC parish church records 4 July 1857; witnesses Patrick Brady and Anna McAnerney.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Thank you Seamus! That's the sort of detail I am lacking, being in Australia. I have managed to get some dates for various events, but of course if they aren't listed online, then I don't have them! This was a terrific help.

I had a look around the internet regarding the book you mention, but it doesn't appear to be available online. I did see a short youtube video of Mary Gordon speaking about the book, and her husband in another one I think it was. Very fascinating to thing these people are distantly related to me!

Coincidentally I have just gotten in touch with another person who is connected through Patrick and Margaret's daughter Sarah. For some reason, a lot of connections seem to be coming my way in regard to the Gordons this year!

Thank you again!