Mary Reid DOD 1940 Hartdwood Shotts

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

jjlmary312

Mary Reid DOD 1940 Hartdwood Shotts

Post by jjlmary312 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi,

I have the marriage and death certs but there is a 3 year age difference in the birth cert and the one that i have found on SP. Any suggestions how I can clarify if this is correct?.
How can I trace where she is buried?. Do cemetaries keep a record for 1940s. I can remember there being a cemetary on Wellhall Road, but not the name.

nelmit

Re: Mary Reid DOD 1940 Hartdwood Shotts

Post by nelmit » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:26 pm

A google finds that there was a burial ground at the hospital.

http://mars.northlan.gov.uk/xpedio/grou ... 064145.pdf

You could try contacting this office -

Copies of Historic Records not held at the Archives are available at the Cemetery Administration Office in Bellshill Tel. 01698 506 300

These are:

St Patrick's Cemetery, New Stevenston
Hartwood Asylum Cemetery, Shotts

Regards,
Annette

trish1

Re: Mary Reid DOD 1940 Hartdwood Shotts

Post by trish1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:15 am

It is not uncommon that people lie about their age, whether it be on official documents or to family members - it could also be that Mary was unaware of her exact date of birth. In the 1970s, my grandmother - by then over 80 years old wanted to get a passport. On application for her birth certificate she discovered she was born 3 years earlier than she had thought for most of her life. If she had not decided to go on a cruise (thus needing the passport) her age on her death certificate would no doubt have been as she had told her family members.

It would be very unusual to register the birth of a child - not yet born - so it would seem most likely that the birth registration contains the correct birth information.