138, Garngadhill.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jack

Re 138 Garngadhill

Post by Jack » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:52 pm

Hi Cathy and Annette,
This could be the place - looks quite big!

http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/to ... plans.html

select Glasgow [1892-4]
click on top right square
click in VI.7.24 (7th down & 2nd right)
zoom in to just right of centre; there is a St. Joseph's House (Home for the Aged)

Jack

ps, i notice a Burial Ground to the south of the House.

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:25 pm

Hi Annette and Jack,
thank you again.
Off the subject - have you been to the Mitchell since it reopened?
Any improvements, changes, additions?
I desperately wanted to visit when I was home last month, but as we all know it was closed.
Cathy

Jack

The Mitchell

Post by Jack » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:32 pm

Hi Cathy,

It's a pity you didn't phone them last month - they were allowing some folk in who'd travelled a long way.... but too late now :(

Can't say i've noticed any great differences as yet - apart from a number of doors that seem to have disappeared!
But i usually just go straight up to levels 2 or 3 on autopilot without really looking to see what's been done since my last visit.

Check out this page on what's been happening.
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... signed.htm

And seems they've now extended their lending facilities - so you could make a request from your local library.
Lending Services @ The Mitchell

Jack

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:38 pm

Cheers Jack. They did do a lookup for me while they were closed.
Thanks again.
Cathy

maddymoss

Post by maddymoss » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:24 pm

Several of my forebears died at Garngadhill. It was actually a hospice called St. Joseph's Home. The Sisters of Mercy occupied the premises prior to The Little Sisters of the Poor arriving in 1864. They administered to the aged and sick of all denominations until the order moved to Robroyston in 1993.

Jim

wini

Institutions

Post by wini » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:36 am

I have found 2 ancestors who ended up in the Poorhouse.
They had been tradesmen and still had family alive.
What were the criteria for putting people into a Poorhouse, was it voluntary or were the family unwilling or unable to care for them?

I am obviously confused, been away from Glasgow for too long, I went to Whitehill Senior Secondary which was in Dennistoun just off Duke Street, and I thought Barnhill was in Springburn
I remember Duke Street Prison the womens prison and the Meat works in Duke Street.
wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

JimM

Post by JimM » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi Wini
I think that people applied for poor relief when they were not able to support themselves.
Unless they were ill and needed hospital treatment the preferred option was for outdoor relief, which was money or clothing etc. A few of my lot would refuse the poorhouse when offered.
The relief committee would try to find out if the applicant had family who could contribute, or what parish was responsible for their support. That's why the reports have so much details written.
Depending on when your ancestors were in the poorhouse, the city poorhouse at Parliamentary road in Springburn closed in 1905 when Glasgow and Barony merged. The poorhouse was then moved to Barnhill which later became Foresthall hospital.
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/ ... rony.shtml

Jim
researching
McIntyre, Menzies, Cowley, Pearson, Copland, McCammond, Forbes, Edgar etc. in Scotland
Skinner in Northumberland

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:35 am

Hope I'm not adding to the confusion :shock:

Thanks to Jack I found a couple of my lot of deid punters died in the City Poorhouse, Glasgow in the late 1880's St Rollox district, that was how they were written on the DC's :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

JimM

Post by JimM » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:29 pm

Hi Stewie
you are correct, it was in the registration district of St. Rollox.
St. Rollox is in the Springburn area of Glasgow.

Jim
researching
McIntyre, Menzies, Cowley, Pearson, Copland, McCammond, Forbes, Edgar etc. in Scotland
Skinner in Northumberland

Orlaith17

Re: 138, Garngadhill.....

Post by Orlaith17 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi all. I saw this board and wondered if anyone could shed any light on a children's refuge in Rutherglen? I have a death record for a relative who died 17th December 1928, aged 12 and the place of death was simply given as "Children's Refuge, Rutherglen". His father was deceased at the time as he had died in WW1. His mother was living in Dundee with her other 5 children, all full brothers and sisters of the child who died in the refuge. I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on if the refuge had a proper name, in what circumstances a child might be placed there etc.