cathy52

poorhouse photo,s

Post by cathy52 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:54 pm

when someone was in the poorhouse did they take photo,s 0f them,

LesleyB

Re: poorhouse photo,s

Post by LesleyB » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi Cathy
I've not see this in any of the poor house archives I am aware of. I wish they had though....

Best wishes
Lesley

Russell

Re: poorhouse photo,s

Post by Russell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Cathy
The only time I have seen photos was for a few years Quarriers orphan homes for Scotland included them but that was only for a few years in the 1890's. Poorhouses were maintained from Parish funds and had to be run as cheaply as possible. In some areas several parishes contributed toward their upkeep (Combination Poor Houses) and as many deserving poor were maintained out in the community as possible. Those who required to be admitted were often ill and infirm and were brought in to a hospital type of environment. these places often became the local voluntary hospital.
A good example of this was Merryflats in Govan which was Poorhouse, Hospital and Asylum in one place. When Hawkhead Asylum was built the hospital section became the Southern General Hospital once it was taken over by the NHS. The Poorlaw portion was closed down some years before that when local authorities opened separate Part 3 accommodation elsewhere in the city.
Photography was never the cheap, quick option that we enjoy with instant digital solutions.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny