Ayrshire Poor Relief Records On-Line.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

DavidWW

Ayrshire Poor Relief Records On-Line.....

Post by DavidWW » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:42 am

In a thread here, a post by Jack mentions the site http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/poorrelief.php which has on-line details of poor relief records, consisting of name indexes. The districts covered are: -

Ardrossan
Beith
Dailly
Dreghorn
Kilmarnock
Kilwinning
Kirkmichael
Kirkoswald
Largs
Stevenson
West Kilbride
Irvine
Kilbirnie
Cumbrae

From personal experience of the Adrossan and surrounding records, as well as the Kilmarnock records, the material consists of the detailed inspectors' reports. For a few of the other areas there may be only be the poor roll, i.e. a listing only of those receiving poor relief.

This is the first time that I'm aware of that such a volume of material has become available on-line for the West of Scotland.

This database also gives access to the intimations database from the Adrossan & Saltcoats Herald newspaper.

David

TD

rita

Post by rita » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:45 am

Hello David
I used the data-base on this site to try and find out what happened to my Kilmarnock ancestors who were orphaned when both the parents died; I searched by entering the last name facility which gave poor relief no's etc
I then E-mailed the Ardrossan Library with the info who promptly replied and as I had the correct information for them they asked if I wanted to come to the Library or they could send the Poor Relief records on to me which they did all within a week they were very nice and said not to hesitate to ask if they could help with any other queery I had.
Rita

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:47 am

rita wrote:Hello David
I used the data-base on this site to try and find out what happened to my Kilmarnock ancestors who were orphaned when both the parents died; I searched by entering the last name facility which gave poor relief no's etc
I then E-mailed the Ardrossan Library with the info who promptly replied and as I had the correct information for them they asked if I wanted to come to the Library or they could send the Poor Relief records on to me which they did all within a week they were very nice and said not to hesitate to ask if they could help with any other queery I had.
Rita
Rita

Good to hear before that. What was the cost of the copies?

David

rita

Post by rita » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:12 pm

Hello David
This was about a year ago and I did ask about cost at the time and I think because I had the application Numbers (from the site) for all the children except for the baby (don't know what happened to him) and the Grand Mother, they declined payment maybe because they didn't need to do a search themselves.
Rita.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:00 pm

rita wrote:Hello David
This was about a year ago and I did ask about cost at the time and I think because I had the application Numbers (from the site) for all the children except for the baby (don't know what happened to him) and the Grand Mother, they declined payment maybe because they didn't need to do a search themselves.
Rita.
Rita

Fascinating. I'd assume that if they had charged you the 10p or 15p per copy that you'd have had to pay to use their photocopier had you visited the library, it would have cost them several times that amount just to process a payment via post from you :wink:

David

walnut

Post by walnut » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:59 am

This Ayrshire poor relief site is wonderful - I just wondered if anyone knew if all the existing available records have been entered in the database and the work is finished now, or if it is still an ongoing project with further areas or years to be added?

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:55 pm

David,

Thanks for this. Could be a goldmine for me.

Hugo
Hugo

The more you know, the more you know how little you know. (My science teacher)

[scotland-flag]