Can someone please look for a poorhouse record?

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:09 pm

mallog wrote:Where is Barnhill? Google won't let me see at the moment :shock: :lol:
Hi Mallog,

See http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... rony.shtml

In the 1851 census, Barnhill came under Barony Parish, Calton District.

--> modern map showing Barnhill area <--

--> OS map showing Barnhill area and surrounds <--

All the best,

AndrewP

mallog

Post by mallog » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks Andrew. Seems a lot of work was expected from poorly nourished folk :shock:

Sorry I can't be of help :cry:
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi Nelmit,

Thanks for having a look after all this time! I would love to see the record for Catherine Campse. I have not asked elsewhere. I have never found her husband John's death registration although from censuses etc it would seem he died between 1884-93. And of course if Ann was their daughter it may be mentioned! Maybe some clues will be amongst Catherine's poorhouse application.

It's odd that this thread turned up again as after leaving it alone for ages I had only looked at my information about it only a few days ago.

Thanks again, I can be patient for a bit longer! :D

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello Nina,

I'm afraid your patience hasn't been rewarded. There was no mention of Ann or Patrick in Catherine's poorhouse application. In fact after looking at the 1881 census I am totally confused :? :?

Here are the sons of Catherine Campse/Logan

Dwelling: 176 Garngad Rd
Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203639 GRO Ref Volume 644-3 EnumDist 60 Page 1
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Hugh LOGAN M 34 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Masons Labourer
Mary LOGAN M 26 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
John LOGAN 14 M Ireland
Rel: Son
Hugh LOGAN 10 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Occ: Scholar
James LOGAN M 27 M Ireland
Rel: Brother
Occ: Bricklayers Labourer

Bridget LOGAN M 24 F Ireland
Rel: Brothers Wife
Mary Jane LOGAN 1 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Brothers Daur

and at the same address here is your Patrick McClusky

Dwelling: 176 Garngad Rd
Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203639 GRO Ref Volume 644-3 EnumDist 60 Page 2
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John LOGAN M 61 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: General Labourer
Catherine LOGAN M 64 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
James LOGAN U 30 M Ireland
Occ: Hammerman

Patrick MC CLUSKY U 16 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Grand Son
Occ: Blacksmith

I have to go now but I'll post the application later.

Regards,
Annette
Last edited by nelmit on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Here is the application for Medical Relief -

Catherine Campse Logan

Address - 149 Graeme Street, far backland, right stair, 1 up right with son Hugh.

Born - Co. Donegal, Ireland

Inspectors visit - 31/8/86

Deserted, age 75, Housewife, Protestant :?

Children-

Hugh, 43, born Co. Londonderry, married & 2 children, a mason's labourer at above address.
James, 38, born Belfast, Co. Antrim, married and 0 children, resides same land.

Husband John Logan born Co. Derry, a mason's labourer at present in Co. Derry (Now you know why you can't find a death record) Son of James Logan and Rosie Broadley both dead.

Daughter of John Campse or Kemp a farmer and Jane Taylor, both dead.

Married, Co.__________,Ireland by Father Docherty, 21st July 1835.

Previous residences - 149 Graeme Street with Hugh - 3 years
Prior -149 Graeme Street - 2 Years
Prior - Bowling Alley Close, Glasgow Road - 3 years

Line granted for 2 weeks.

So you see why I'm 100% positive Hugh and the James living with him are the 2 sons mentioned in the application.
So if the Catherine Logan at the same address is their mum Catherine Campse - who is the James living with her stated as her son?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Annette

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Nelmit,

Thanks for looking for the record. I know about the confusion and will reply a little later in my day; it's early morning here right now and I have to get kids ready for school. I just didn't want anyone wasting their time looking at that....pity she doesn't mention a daughter though!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:53 am

Hi Nelmit,

Well let me say that this family had me stumped for a long time...it has been fraught with difficulties!

The 1881 census of Hugh Logan with his wife Mary....that is in fact his second wife Mary. His first wife had the same name, so I was led to believe for a while that the wife's age of 26 was a mistranscription for a while. Nope. I eventually found a second marriage registration for Hugh, and a death registration for the first wife Mary McNicol (indexed as Lagan).

Then I thought that James living with Hugh was a brother. Here is where it was twisty. James Logan married Bridget Cronin. Hugh Logan's second wife was Mary Cronin. I thought two brothers had married two sisters...until I stumbled on the parents with a son James living with them and he was unmarried....UGH! So the James who is living with Hugh is his brother in law and also a cousin I think. I have not yet been able to prove it, because I didn't know the names of the father John's parents. If James the cousin's father Thomas has the same father as John then it will be proof, but since I can't find him at SP he probably died in Ireland knowing my luck. Did I say it was twisty? :lol:

So the James, son unmarried living with John and Catherine is the real brother...hehe.

What a to-do.

So now still not further ahead with Ann and Patrick. I can't find anything on either of them, so it will probably remain a mystery!

Thanks for all your help!

Nina

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:14 am

Thought I would get back on this one!

I found Ann Logan today. I was going through my 'unproven' documents (does anyone else keep the searches they have that don't seem to fit at the time, hoping they one day will?) Anyway I took a look at a death registration I had for a Partick Logan, which I had kept because his mother's name was Ann, but it says Ann Hendry, previously Logan ms Kemps. So I checked it out a bit more by looking for and purchasing that marriage registration, found that Ann Logan had married a John Hendry, and that her parents were the same as Hugh Logan's....John Logan and Catherine Campse. (I must have had some interruption to my searching for this, because I don't know why I didn't go further at the time I found Patrick's death....it was possibly that I ran out of genealogy money for the month!)

So in fact she was the sister of my ggg grandfather, and had her illegitimate son Patrick in the Poorhouse. Although Patrick lived with his grandparents, the family did seem to have contact later on, as indeed on the 1881 census Ann is at 176 Garngad with the other Logans (in the same building I presume). And in 1891 Patrick is living with his mother...but her hubby isn't there.

So, thanks for all the help in the past. It is good to tie up a loose end! I looked at the original date of this thread....sometimes things take a while to prove, don't they?

Now I am just wondering why the poorhouse record never mentioned Ann... :?

Nina

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:00 pm

Wow!

After my most recent post, with the addition of the surname Hendry or Henry, a very kind poster looked for Poorhouse Records and found them! Poor lady was always running to the parish it seems, as her husband periodically left her and her children.

So thanks to ALL who helped with this in any way, or even tried to help!

Nina