Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Pat Herrity

Re: Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Post by Pat Herrity » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:06 pm

Hi

Does anyone remember a Hannah McGlynn she was in the mother and baby home in 1956?

Arodgers76

Post by Arodgers76 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:27 pm

Hello, I'm looking for a woman who was there in the mid 1970's. Anne McKinnon, she was engaged to my late brother Dickie Rodgers in the late 70's.

jmccabe

Post by jmccabe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm

Arodgers76 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:27 pm
Hello, I'm looking for a woman who was there in the mid 1970's. Anne McKinnon, she was engaged to my late brother Dickie Rodgers in the late 70's.
Sorry, can't help with Anne, but are you Alan Rodgers?

Arodgers76

Post by Arodgers76 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm

Alan is my brother...I'm the youngest sibling, Anne

jmccabe

Post by jmccabe » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:51 am

Arodgers76 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm
Alan is my brother...I'm the youngest sibling, Anne
Ah, I see. I hope you don't mind, but I've sent you a private message.

prq

Post by prq » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:20 pm

I was adopted in 1955. According to a letter from the adoption agency, my adoptive parents collected me from St Gerard’s, 231 Nithsdale Road, Pollockshileds, Glasgow. However, I came across two letters to my parents following my adoption. The first from St Gerard’s, Bishopton from the Good Shepherd Convent, Bishopton. I am guessing that St Gerard’s and the Good Shepherd Convent in Bishopton are one and the same place. But can anyone shed any light on the link between Bishopton and St Gerard’s Pollockshields. Although I was born in Lennox Castle I wonder if my birth mother spent any time pre or post giving birth to me in either of these two places. Are there records somewhere which can be consulted? Grateful for any information.

geninhexham

Post by geninhexham » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:17 pm

Hi,
I’ve been reading through all of these comments with great interest and remembering back to this time. I didn’t go to St Euphrasias or St Gerard’s home but I was a wee girl who grew up there. My granda ( Willie McDaid) was the caretaker. Father Diamond was a very close family friend. We spent our whole childhood there. I was born in 1970 and my siblings and I used to be allowed to visit the wee babies. Sister Gertrude and Sister Catherine would let us in and let us buy sweets from the sweet cupboard. We loved seeing the wee babies, and didn’t ever understand how desperately sad it must have been for the mums there.
My granda used to fix shoes for the girls in St Euphrasias. We loved trying on the amazing funky high heeled shoes and sandals ( that we weren’t allowed to have). My mum ( Geraldine Giedraitis) worked at St Gerard’s mother & baby home in the 1970’s & 80’s teaching the girls sewing and making things and was then a teacher at St Euphrasias for a long time.
It makes me so sad to think of the awful times and difficult situations the girls dealt with and I feel so strange to be so unaware of it and all I thought was that it was a happy place with stylish teenagers and little cute babies!
I saw someone called their baby Genevieve, born in 1972. My name is Genevieve. I believe I was named after a wee Good Shepherd nun who came to the convent.
Such vivid memories of my childhood.

ParkGrant

Post by ParkGrant » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:28 pm

I am really hoping someone can help us or point us in the right direction, my husband was born in Glasgow, adopted as a baby born on the 18th November 1965.
His adoptive parents’ surname was Park –his dad was Alastair Graham Park and his mom Louise Margaret Avril Park, he was named Grant Douglas Park,they lived in Crookston Drive until they came out to SA in the 70’s. They passed away when he was young , his adopted gran’s name was Margaret Dickie she lived in Elm Road in Paisley. She has passed on. He had a sister, also adopted, Justine Louise Park, she too has passed here in SA. We do not know his birth parent/s name very possible she was an unmarried mom in one of these homes, how can we search? He never got any info from his late adoptive parents.

prq

Post by prq » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:45 am

Hi
I have just gone thur the process myself starting July 2023
1. Obtained my original birth certificate from the national records office of Scotland
Following this link https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/adoption
2. I then made an appointment to go and consult my adoption file held at the NRS.
3. I then contacted the adoption agency who arranged my adoption and had a meeting with them. The info held with the adoption agency also named my birth father which was unexpected (as birth mother unmarried and father nit named in my original birth certificate).
Hope this is if some help.

ParkGrant

Post by ParkGrant » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:50 am

thank you so much, we have contacted the NRS by email but they want original copies of Grants passport and paperwork, as we are in South Africa our postal system in not functioning anymore it is going to be hard to get them there unless i try a courier. I hope they will overlook this and assist if we just email them but no luck yet. Or i find someone from SA going across and they would drop them for us. I could try our embassy here and see what they say. Thanks again, going to open that link you sent and have a look. Have a lovely weekend.