Out Worker

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

runepriest

Out Worker

Post by runepriest » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:56 am

hey all:

while continuing my never ending search on my lawson people, I came across an occupation that I don't know: Out worker.

Anyone offer ideas, or know what this is?

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Researching - Lawson, Black, Hampton, Bruce, Robbins, Brown, Hunt, Lester, Napier

Bervonian

Post by Bervonian » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:15 am

I'm open to correction but I believe that an Out worker was someone (usually a woman/girl) who worked in the fields of a farm as opposed to someone who worked within the farm house.[/b]

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Brian
This site http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/n-o.html#O says:
Outworker -Home-worker, particularly in weaving

And here: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/thursday.hand ... cc-m-o.htm
it says
Outworker - A worker who carried on their occupation at home, e.g., cotton or woollen weavers but it applies to many occupations.

Bervonian, what you said is what I would have thought was likely...but the two web sites said the above. Maybe it can mean both?
Ah, this is more in line with that: http://www.scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm
Outworker - Person employed in outdoor work

I'd be more inclined to trust the web site above which is specifically Scots occupations, as meanings can change with a bit of geographical distance.

Do you have the occupation of this person anywhere else to compare? The location of the person you mention may also provide a few clues, as to whether an agricultural or weaving occupation is most likley.

Best wishes
Lesley

runepriest

Post by runepriest » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:45 am

Hi Lesley;

Elizabeth Smart (the person I was enquiring about), is listed in the 1851 census as working at Smiddyhill, as an out worker.

Also in this listing, is her future husband, George Lawson; listed as a ploughman.

1861 shows Elizabeth (Elesebeth), her husband George, and two children, Isabella (Esabella), and George, as living at Maisondieu cottage.

1871 shows the family at Bolshan Cottar House.

The only reference to her employment seems to be from 1851........interesting stuff to read and research.

Brian
Researching - Lawson, Black, Hampton, Bruce, Robbins, Brown, Hunt, Lester, Napier

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:04 am

Hi Brian
From the mention of cottage and cottar house it begins to sound like a rural area, but can you maybe tell us whereabouts in Scotland Smiddyhill is?

Best wishes
Lesley

Bervonian

Post by Bervonian » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi Lesley and Brian,

The mention of Maisondieu rang a bell and, as I thought, it is at Brechin.
My faithful 1998/99 Postal Address Book came up with this for Brechin:

Smiddyhill Farmhouse, Stracathro DD9 7QE
Maison Dieu DD9 6RB
Maison Dieu Bothy DD9 6RB

Log on to Get a Map, enter these postcodes, and you should see the above places.

Regards,
Isles.

Bervonian

Post by Bervonian » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi again. I forgot to say that the Postal Address Book has a Hill of Bolshan, Farnell, Brechin. Postcode DD9 6UG.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi Bervonian
Good detective work there! :D So, it looks very much like a rural location, with outworkers employed in farming work as you suspected.

Best wishes
Lesley