Dennistoun, MacGregor & Co

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

History Hunter

Dennistoun, MacGregor & Co

Post by History Hunter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Can anyone please help me with information regarding Alexander MacGregor Esq. of Glasgow who lived at Garscadden House sometime during the 1830’s? He also had a residence in Liverpool.

Alexander was married to Mary Lyon Dennistoun & I believe he had a business partnership with her brother James Robert Dennistoun. There appears to be links with the West Indies, particularly Trinidad as per the news paper extract in the Edinburgh Gazette May 29th 1835. It mentions the firm of “Dennistoun, MacGregor & Co” in Glasgow & “Dennistoun & Co” in Trinidad. I would love to find out more about his life & business activities.

Thanks

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:51 pm

A wee mention here - http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/smihou/smihou045.htm

Regards,
Annette

johnniegarve

Re: Dennistoun, MacGregor & Co

Post by johnniegarve » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Laterly the Dennistoun firm consisted of, James Buchanan, younger of Ardenconnel, Alexander Macgregor, Richard Dennistoun, James Robert Dennistoun (Ruffy) & Robert Dennistoun. "They overadvanced on West Indies estates and ultimately had to stop payment". They were descended from the Dennistouns of Colgrain. The last survivor, Richard, lived at Row (Rhu) and employed his energies in collecting menu's, Bizarre or whit! This from a book, "The Board of the Green Cloth".

Montrose Budie

Re: Dennistoun, MacGregor & Co

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Glasgow University Library have extensive business records relating to Glasgow, as have the Mitchell Library.

Both could be worth contacting.

mb