Coopers

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ted

Coopers

Post by Ted » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi Everyone

I have an ancestor who was listed on the 1861 cenus as a Cooper (journeyman) - 10 years later on the 1871 cenus he is listed as a Cooper (Master). Can anyone explain what the process is to evolve from a journeyman (which by my understanding means that he was not rooted to one spot for work and may have travelled around working) to being a Master Cooper. Does this mean that he was latterly self employed or reached some promoted status?

Thanks in advance

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Alan SHARP

Re: Coopers

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Greetings Ted.

If you type "journeyman" into the search box, at the top in the TS banner, you will get highlighted all previous posts discussing that word.

This one by Montrose Buddie, a senior genealogist when it comes to research in Scotland, may be of help.

Quote:......

Re: Master Carter
In any occupation in the 19th C and well into the 20th C there were 3 categories, -

apprentice - self explanatory
journeyman - an apprentice now fully qualified to work on his own account
master - a very experienced journeyman, possibly but not necessarily employing others.

Seemple !

mb by Montrose Budie
Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:17 am

Forum: Working Life
Topic: Master Carter
Replies: 10
Views: 481

End Quote...........

Alan SHARP.

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks Alan

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi Ted
The "Jour" in Journeyman is from the French word journee, meaning the period of one day- he could charge by the day for work. As far as I'm aware it is not to do with a journey or travel.
A journeyman would often be employed by a master craftsman, but would live apart (unlike an apprentice) and might have a family of their own. A journeyman could not employ others. (as a Master could)

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 am

“The Book of English Trades etc” published 1818, can be useful to anyone interested in the activities of the ancient trades.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=wWg ... J&pg=PA115

Alan

Ted

Post by Ted » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am

Lesley
Thanks for your suggestions - I originally got the travelling around bit from research into another ancestor of mine who was a journeyman blacksmith in the 1860's in Aberdeenshire. That research certainly indicated that it meant (in the case of a blacksmith) that he travelled around to do his work. But I must admit I didn't really think that could be truly the case with a cooper.

Way back in the mists of time (I must point out that this was in the 1970's not the 1870's!) I served an apprenticeship as an engineer - you were referred to as a journeyman once your 'time' was served - with the inference being that you had completed the journey as an apprentice and were now a 'time served journeyman'

Alan
Thanks for the link - some interesting stuff there too.

Regards

Ted