Whitesmith & Bellhanger

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Johnmac

Whitesmith & Bellhanger

Post by Johnmac » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Could anyone please help. At the time of his death in 1855 my ggg grandfather John Macklam was listed as being a Master Whitesmith and Bellhanger. He died in the City of Durham. But was born in Scotland c1769, so I am assuming he learned his trade in Scotland. Where could I look to find possibly where he plied his trade. :?

LesleyB

Re: Whitesmith & Bellhanger

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi Johnmac
Where could I look to find possibly where he plied his trade.
It would be interesting to know when and where John Macklam married, who he married and the names and places of birth of his children - this would help us to help you. How do you know he was born in Scotland - have you seen this on a census?
Macklam is not sounding like a Scots surname to me, and by 1881 this seems to confirm that:
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Map.a ... &type=name
However, in his case, it may just be possible that he moved south with a similar sounding surname (e.g. McCallum) and then the spelling conforrmed what was more typical for the area he now lived in...I've seen this happen a few times with surnames.

There are a few similar sounding surnames with spelling variants for Johns born in Scotland around the period you are interested in on IGI - have you looked at these?

Best wishes
Lesley

Johnmac

Post by Johnmac » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Lesley, John Macklam was married on 7th March 1797 at St Giles Church in the City of Durham, he married Elizabeth Forster. At the time of his marriage he was serving in the East & West Lothian Fencible Cavalry. As to his year of Birth I saw an entry in a Family Bible held by a great-aunt which just gave his year of birth as being 1769 in Scotland, but no actual plaace of birth.
His children were Marion, James, John jnr who sadly died less than a year old, then another son John, Margaret, Georgin Ann, and William Henry (my gg grandfather).
After his discharge from the regiment in April 1800 he set up his business in Durham, in Water Lane, as a Master Whitesmith and Bellhanger. I am working on the assuption that John actually did his apprenticeship in Scsotland before he enlisted into The Fencible Cavalry. I hop I havn't caused you too much confusion. Thanks :)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:40 pm

If he followed the Scots naming pattern, his dad would have been a James - there are these two on IGI, dates close but not spot-on:

JOHN MACLOM - this is an extract
Christening: 25 FEB 1759 Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES MACLOM
Mother: JANET COLBREATH

John Macklem - this is a submission
Birth: 10 MAY 1779 Eastwood, Renfrew, Scotland
Parents:
Father: James Macklem
Mother: Jean Burnside

Best wishes
Lesley

Johnmac

Post by Johnmac » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi Lesley, Many thanks for the two entries from the IGI. Don't think either of them are John, but could possibly be relatives. I will certainly add them to my list. Very many thanks, Best wishes Johnmac :D

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi Johnmac
DO you know where John is in the 1851 & 1851 census? That should confirm if he said he was born Scotland and may, if you are really lucky, give a place or county, although most probably it will just say "Scotland" - certainly worth a look to see.

Best wishes
Lesley

Johnmac

Post by Johnmac » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi, again Lesley, Many thanks for your last message. I do have in my records two extracts from Census Records for John Macklam. In 1841 his address is New Elvet, Durham City, and in the 1851 Census his address is listed as New Elvet, City of Durham. But in both entries his place of birth is just given as Scotland. So it would seem that for the moment I am at a dead end. But hey ho! such is the adventure of Family History. I will still carry on. Once again many thanks for all your time and help. Best wishes Johnmac :)