Pig Dealer

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

Pig Dealer

Post by ninatoo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi all,

I have been told that when the phrase 'Pig Dealer" or "Pig Trader" was listed a a person's occupation on the Scottish census, it meant that the person was dealing with the English, which was frowned upon. Is this correct?

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Pig Dealer

Post by AndrewP » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi Nina,

I have never heard that definition. I have my doubts about it. I think he was more likely dealing with what was on its way to become bacon.

All the best,

AndrewP

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:10 am

I tend to agree Andrew, because he was also listed as a flesher, a butcher and a general dealer on various census returns. I think it may have been a family tale which has somewhat grown over the years. He may well have dealt with the English, and the local people may not have liked that very much, but I haven't seen that definition and I have searched all over the internet! However, the person also told me there was a note on later censuses telling enumerators not to write derogatory remarks on them.
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Hibee

Post by Hibee » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:23 am

During the first 100 years of the national census, relationships with England were never better, and trade had never been stronger, so this is plainly nonsense.

There was even a significant movement to do away with the term "Scotland", and replace it with "North Britain" (and England with "South Britain"). The English failed to take up their end of the bargain in any significant numbers, but you can find many letters bound for Scotland during the period, addressed as N.B. rather than Scotland. And there was, of course, Scotland's premier hotel, The North British.

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton