Dairyman

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mary Kate

Dairyman

Post by Mary Kate » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi,

I know from the research that I've pursued on the Ballantine branch of my family, that my Great great Grandfather David Ballantine,I've found him on the 1851 Census in Kirkconnel, and then on the 1871 census on Luing, as a Shepherd. However, by the time of the 1891 Census they are in Glasgow. GG Grandfather and 3 of the boys are showing as Dairyman?

I've been unable to find any Dairies in Glasgow, although my mother tells me that Alexander, the youngest of the three boys, had his own business. Any suggestions about where I might find this information please.

Thanks

Mary Kate

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Dairyman

Post by paddyscar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi Mary Kate:

The Valuation Roles may give you the name and location of the business. You can search by GG grandfather's or the son's names at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The Mitchell Library has pictures of a number of Dairy references http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... yeSI7&pg=1 You may enlarge the views to see the names of the specific premises. The addresses accompany the pictures.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Mary Kate

Post by Mary Kate » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Paddyscar,

Thanks for the information. I'll have a look at it with my mum. She might be able to recognise the dairy.

Many Thanks

Mary Kate

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 pm

He appears in the PO Directory as a Dairyman.

http://www.archive.org/stream/postoffic ... ballantyne

Regards,
Annette

Mary Kate

Post by Mary Kate » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi Annette,

Many thanks for that. I've noticed other members the family on it, all of them keeping the original Ballantine spelling, especially David at 140 Holm Street.

Kind Regards

Marion

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 am

Greetings from NZ

Would the occupation of DAIRYMAN include vending milk door to door ?

Alan SHARP.

Mary Kate

Post by Mary Kate » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi Alan,

That's what I was wondering too, strains of "who will buy" going through my head :-). I've also been told that my Great Grandmother, Mary Ballantine, nee Moore, was working for my Great Great Grandfather as a milk maid , and that is how she, and my Great Grandfather met.

So many questions I know I'm never going to have answers for, but at least I've managed to go back to 1819, and I've found marriage banns for my Great, Great, Great Grandparents, James Scott, and Lilias Muir.

Kind regards

Mary Kate

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:12 am

Hoi Mary Kate & Alan
fifty years ago there was still a dairy active in Glasgow although they no longer had their own herds near the city. they still processed, pasteurised and bottled the milk and sent it out to local small dairies for sale. The milk was brought in in tankers or big churns. It was just along the road from the Barrows (Barras !) so right in the heart of the city. I'm sure it was not the only one left in Glasgow. Ten years earlier I was a 'milk boy' pushing a barrow with 4 or 5 crates of milk round the street to my customers to meet their regular orders. The foil bottle caps were coloured according to the type of milk inside. ~Silver tops, red tops, stripe tops showed whether they had pasteurised, T.B. tested, skimmed, semi skimmed. I can't remember now which colour applied to which type but heaven help you if you left the wrong variety. A few people still requested 'raw' milk.
Bigger dairies like the Co-operative or St Cuthberts in Edinburgh had horse drawn floats to deliver the milk but the delivery man was simply called the milkman.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Mary Kate

Post by Mary Kate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 am

Hi Russell,

I remember those bottles, and their little metallic tops, before the plastic bottles and tetrapaks took over. I'm thinking of the period of 1901 to 1911, or possibly later for, in particular, my Great Grandfather Alexander Ballantyne.

Kind Regards

Mary Kate