Another SERVANT problem! Is the will a clue?

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Billiegirl

Another SERVANT problem! Is the will a clue?

Post by Billiegirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 am

Hello again, I've just discovered that my gt gt gt grandfather is mentioned in the will of his employer, Peter Campbell of Kilmory, Glassary's, will.
Unfortunately it doesn't say what sort of servant he was :( I thought perhaps someone out there with more knowledge than I may have some ideas?

The will is dated 1819.
It says To my faithful and devoted servant Graham Campbell now in service in Kilmory in Argyle an annuity of 42 pounds. This seems an awful lot of money for those days.

Graham is the 3rd servant mentioned after Peter Esq's father's "man of colour" and his wife (50 pounds total annuity) and Mrs Flower the housekeeper (maybe of the London residence), 52 pounds 10 shillings. The other servants are not mentioned by name but each get a 10 guinea "bonus".

All theories gratefully received !

:D

trish1

Re: Another SERVANT problem! Is the will a clue?

Post by trish1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:29 am

I have no idea as to the type of servant - but given the amount is not so much less than his wife received he must truly have been a faithful and devoted servant - perhaps through war and peace?

Trish

Billiegirl

Re: Another SERVANT problem! Is the will a clue?

Post by Billiegirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Yes Trish, the "man of colour" was Peter Campbell Esq's late father's servant who came from their Jamaican plantations and had a wife called Sarah. The annuity was for them both.

All I have been able to prove is that my gt gt gt grandfather Graham (also a Campbell) worked for Peter Esq from 1805 until the time of the will in 1819. Peter Esq died around 1821, and the next mention of Graham is on his son's 1839 wedding certificate where he is described as a cook. I'm assuming from this that Graham was still alive in 1839, otherwise I think they would put "deceased"? This was a Kent marriage cert. But my instinct tells me that he was somewhat closer to Peter Esq and may have changed occupations later on. I am thinking he may have been a butler or valet or something like that.
As you say Trish, "through war and peace"! He seemed to have travelled a lot around Scotland, and I can only speculate that he travelled with Peter Esq, who had quite a few mistresses! (also mentioned in the will)

Maybe Graham was a groom? :roll: