ICI factory just outside Annan.....

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ASGROOMBRIDGE

ICI factory just outside Annan.....

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get information on the ICI factory just outside Annan I think it may have been near Powfoot. My mother worked there during the war making (or do theey distil it) ether. I cant seem to find any information in fact I dont even know what ICI stands for. Can anyone help :?:

Audrey
PS I am sure the factory was still around in the late 50's or early 60's
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:31 pm

in fact I dont even know what ICI stands for.
ICI = "Imperial Chemical Industies" I believe

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Re: ICI factory just outside Annan

Post by nelmit » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:35 pm

ASGROOMBRIDGE wrote:Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get information on the ICI factory just outside Annan I think it may have been near Powfoot. My mother worked there during the war making (or do theey distil it) ether. I cant seem to find any information in fact I dont even know what ICI stands for. Can anyone help :?:

Audrey
Hello Audrey,

The only ICI factory I am aware of was in Ardeer, Ardrossan. You can find lots of info on that by searching Google.

Maybe someone else knows of one in Annan.

Annette M

DavidWW

Re: ICI factory just outside Annan

Post by DavidWW » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:01 am

ASGROOMBRIDGE wrote:Hello everyone,

Audrey
Exactly what this ICI site produced during WWII I'm not sure but it was an ICI site until just a few years ago, producing PET film (polyethylene terephthalate) until it was taken over by a competitor, - du Pont ????

See http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/features/fex80771.htm - but Annan not mentioned !!

See also http://www.dumfriesinsulation.co.uk/ for a passing reference !!

David

ASGROOMBRIDGE

ICI fatory WW2

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:13 am

Thanks everyone,

David, I remember Mum telling me they distiled ether (might not be the right spelling) She said she worked there during the war and they also made amunition so it probaqbly was a munitions factory. Ether was some sort of knock out Gas. :roll:

Have just found this,
Powfoot
Nobel built a large explosives factory here in WW1 or earlier. Passed to ICI in the 20s.

Audrey
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

wini

ICI Factory

Post by wini » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:01 pm

There was also one in Townhead.

I don't know what they made but there was always a dark yellow smoke coming from the chimneys.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

DavidWW

Re: ICI Factory

Post by DavidWW » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:35 pm

wini wrote:There was also one in Townhead.

I don't know what they made but there was always a dark yellow smoke coming from the chimneys.

wini
Such yellow smoke can often indicate manufacture of nitric acid, needed in the manufacture of explosives............

David

rita

Post by rita » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:07 pm

Regarding ICI explosives Ardeer where some of my relatives used to work information for this factory can be found on the threetowners.com site.
Rita

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:51 pm

rita wrote:Regarding ICI explosives Ardeer where some of my relatives used to work information for this factory can be found on the threetowners.com site.
Rita
See also http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=ardeer

Morag

Post by Morag » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:55 pm

There is still a large ICI factory ( or could have changed its name in the last few years ) on the outskirts of Dumfries - on the other side of town from Annan , but that may be the one - employees come from quite far a field .

Morag
Searching mainly Stirlingshire - Hastings,Nicol,Honeyman,Nisbet,Tough,Miller - among others