Post-1855 Largo Cemetery

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

marypryde

Post-1855 Largo Cemetery

Post by marypryde » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Could anybody local help me validate the below decades-old, unsourced information? I'd love to see photos and know if there have been any additional Pryde burials since the early 1950's. Unfortunately, I did not have this information on my recent visit to Scotland and therefore did not go looking for this. Here is what some long-dead relative "knew" in the 1950's.

"Inscription from the tombstone at Largo Cemetery, Lane 25:
Our mother Mary Doig died at Woodside 27.1.1901 age 68
Mary Henderson wife of John Pryde died 7.1.1904 age 25
Father Robert Pryde died at Woodside 23.1.1907 age 76
John Pryde died 6.7.1944 age 69 daughter. Jane Pryde died at Edinburgh 9.6.1951.
Largo Cemetery is situated just to the left of Largo Law and the path to the top of the Law starts from the Cemetery car park. It also overlooks Largo Bay with Largo church on the right against the skyline and the Bass Rock in the background across the forth."

Mary Doig and Robert Pryde were my g-g-grandparents who lived in the village of Woodside. I am particularly interested in finding the burial site of their daughter Isabella Pryde (d. 1953). Fife Council couldn't help and, of course, the pre-1855 MI booklets are of no use in this case.

Thanks and regards, Mary Ellen
Researching Pryde/Doig/Scott/Jack/Paton/Frazer in Fife and Thomson/Barclay/Steele/Barr/Lockie/Sandilands in Lanarkshire

LesleyB

Re: Post-1855 Largo Cemetery

Post by LesleyB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Mary Ellen
I am particularly interested in finding the burial site of their daughter Isabella Pryde (d. 1953). Fife Council couldn't help
If you have Isabella's death details from Scotlands People, I'm not sure why Fife Council could not help - if you have precise date of death, place of death, address at time of death then they should be able to tell you where she is buried.
http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/atoz/index ... A3DFAD6230

Best wishes
Lesley

marypryde

Post by marypryde » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Lesley - here's a transcript of the dialog with Fife Council (August 2009):
-----------
Hi Mary Ellen
have checked the records in respect of Largo, Newburn, Elie and Carnbee, but regret that there is no entry in the name of Isabella Pryde for 1953.
Margaret
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to your assistance I have received the following response from Kircaldy. Would it be too much trouble to check the Largo area? Isabella Pryde's home for about 80 years was the village of Woodside, Largo near New Gilston in Fife. I appreciate your assistance.
Mary Ellen (Pryde)
---------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With reference to your email that has been redirected to me, I would advise that I have searched our local cemeteries and can find no record of burial for Isabella Pryde, died 03/05/1953.

Bereavement Services Clerk
-----------------------
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:54 AM
Subject: Re: general - A to Z - Burials

As Methilhaven Home is situated in Methil, and the Records for that part of the county are retained at Kirkcaldy Crematorium, I have forwarded your 'e' there to see if they can locate the place of interment.

Margaret
---------------------------------

Enquiry Details : I am the great-granddaughter of Isabella Pryde who died at Methilhaven Home on 3 March 1953. I would particularly like to know where she was buried, but would be happy to have any other available information on her. Thank you,

Mary Ellen (m.s. Pryde)

Fife Council reserves the right to monitor the content of all incoming and outgoing email.

Fife Council

Researching Pryde/Doig/Scott/Jack/Paton/Frazer in Fife and Thomson/Barclay/Steele/Barr/Lockie/Sandilands in Lanarkshire

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi MaryEllen
If they can find no trace, then is it perhaps possible that she was not buried, but was cremated.

Trying to think of another angle, if a death announcement was in the local papers, there may have been mention of the funeral arrangements which may give some pointers.

Best wishes
Lesley

Andrew C.

Post by Andrew C. » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:34 pm

marypryde

Post by marypryde » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 pm

I have now :) . Just bought it. Thanks, Andrew - you're a prince!

Mary Ellen

marypryde

Post by marypryde » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 am

Never give up! This is now "completed."

I started this search in 2009 and eventually obtained a photo of the gravestone from someone on Rootschat. The photo supported the headstone inscription posted earlier in this thread. Last week (having decided that Isabella might be there even if not named on the stone), I decided to make one more run at Fife Council, requesting that they "please look one more time" for a record on Isabella Pryde in Largo Cemetery.

It was well worth the second try! Back came a response that they do have her burial record. She was the last one interred in the Pryde lair with her parents, 2 siblings and a sister in law. Council records must be spotty, since the stone has 5 names and Council advises "interred in the lair are as follows: Robert Pryde 1907, John Pryde 1944, Isabella Pryde 1953," which means their records only captured #3, #4, and a name not even on the stone.

I am assuming that in 1953 no one was willing or able to have Isabella's name added. I will now attempt to identify the current owner of the lair. If there is a living owner, that individual may be the person with answers to all the family mysteries. I will then ask permission to have Isabella's name added to the marker - 58 years late.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement from Talking Scot.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:42 am

Hi Mary
Council records must be spotty, since the stone has 5 names and Council advises "interred in the lair are as follows: Robert Pryde 1907, John Pryde 1944, Isabella Pryde 1953," which means their records only captured #3, #4, and a name not even on the stone.
As far as I am aware, the council records are the lair records - these record who is buried in the plot. The names on a gravestone may include memorial records of persons in a family, but who are not actually buried there, and as you have found, some names of those who are actually buried in the lair may not be mentioned on the stone - this is not unusual. In some cases a "well populated" :shock: lair may have no stone at all....

Best wishes
Lesley