Devine/MULDOON

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

LesleyB

Re: Devine/MULDOON

Post by LesleyB » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:15 pm

I expect the Hamilton MIs may be available in book form at the Mitchelll Library. As far as I remember they have a large MI collection, not just for Glasgow, but the surrounding area too. Lots of the MI books are mostly pre-1855 stones, so depends on the date of the person you are looking for - some of the books do list much later dates of a stone has a mixture of dates on it though.

garydevine1995

Post by garydevine1995 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:25 pm

thank you, it turns out the the mary devine that died in 1900 in the poorhouse was my relation it was mary and james' daughter it says she was in the combination poor house and she was a but worker the thomas devine 1940 isnt mine but i did find thomas devine 1932 which is mine.

what is a but worker and do you no what and where this poorhouse could have been in hamilton and thanks i think i am goignt ot he mitchell library during the week to look up stuff anyway :)
Scotland - SINCLAIR/ALLISON/MCALLUM/ROY/DONALDSON
Ireland - DEVINE/MCGARRY/MULLEN/MULDOON

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Gary,

Have another look at Mary Devine's death certificate. Look at the first letter of her occupation, which you have taken to be a 'B'. There are other capital 'B's to be found on that page and they are not like that first letter. I am fairly sure that she was an 'Out Worker'. See http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=amAJ ... sh&f=false

All the best,

AndrewP

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Gary - If you click on the link to the left on this web page:
Index to Monumental Inscriptions in the Family History Centre at The Mitchell Library http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries ... /home.aspx
- you can see a list of MIs at the Mitchell, so that you can see what MIs they have there and what they do not hold at present.

garydevine1995

Post by garydevine1995 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:00 pm

aww unfortunatly there isnt one for hamilton only high blantyre and thanks andrew i will have a look :)

Rodeo

Post by Rodeo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Gary

You can find informaton about Hamilton Combination Poorhouse here: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... lton.shtml

While at Mitchell Library, you can enquire about the Poorhouse records they hold. If your Mary Devine made an application to Hamilton Combination Poorhouse, it will be retained there, assuming it survived.

Cheers,

Rodeo

garydevine1995

Post by garydevine1995 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:45 am

thanks that great to get some info on it :D thank you

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 pm

garydevine1995 wrote:Hello

My name is Gary Devine and i am 15. I need some help with one of my ancestors, Rose muldoon i am sure her name is i suspect she died round about the 1830's to the 1840's, but i don't no when she was born where she was born what age she was when she died all i know is that she was married to James Devine and i dont even no where he comes from, i no he was married twice and rose was the first one a want to no where she was buried and when. I dont have a clue where to look and i dont no where Devine come from but i hope someoen can help me :D . thank you in advance.
Greetings Gary.

I see you have come such a long way, on your genealogical journey of discovery. Good on you for sticking with it.

I bet when you started, you did not expect that two years later, you would be researching court records in New Zealand.

Normally Australia gets the credit for domiciling such characters.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... 509.0.html

At least you have not found a nest of rotten eggs.

Regards Mate,

Alan SHARP.