McCall - Auld Kirk Ayr

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Troupman

McCall - Auld Kirk Ayr

Post by Troupman » Mon May 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Monumental Inscription Ayr Auld Kirk Page 81
Stone Ref 776
Burial Place of Charles McCall and Martha Smith his spouse, In Memory of Robert McCall of Newton Terrace Ayr 26 April 1879 aged 51 Years also his son David Shaw McCall died 24 June 18(7)8 aged 29 - Martha Davidson Widow of the above Robert McCall died 25 Jan 1908 aged 62,

The above memorial inscription is in the Auld Kirk in Ayr. Charles McCall died between 1841/1851 and his wife Martha Smith before 1841. I have tried to trace the remaining family back to Charles however the families don't fit, Robert who died in 1879 aged 51 was the son of Hugh McCall and Janet Moir, and Hugh in Turn the son of Alexander McCall and Mary McGallon, and Alexander in turn the son of Alexander McCall born circa 1720.

The Charles who the stone first commemorates was born circa 1770 and he and his wife had a large family, none of whom appear to have used this lair. I can,t help feeling that there has to be a family connection as the burials are all McCall however I am at a total loss to tie this together. Does anyone have any ideas - could the lair have been sold coincidentally to another McCall family or can anyone provide details of the link.

Thanking you in anticipation

Robert

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: McCall - Auld Kirk Ayr

Post by paddyscar » Mon May 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi Robert:

Have you checked the IGI? http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... search.asp

There is a record of marriage: CHARLES MC CALL Martha Smith
Marriage: 02 NOV 1793 Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Submitted by LDS member

Records of marriage - one extracted and one submitted by LDS:

Robert McCall Spouse: MARTHA DAVIDSON Marriage: 04 FEB 1849 Ayr, Ayr, Scotland

MARTHA DAVIDSON Marriage: 03 FEB 1849 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland

There may be an avenue to explore there.

Also checked the OPRs on ScotlandsPeople for births of any children of Charles and Martha between 1793 and 1820 with 8 hits, but none for a Robert.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Russell

Re: McCall - Auld Kirk Ayr

Post by Russell » Mon May 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Robert

ayrshireroots surname database (http://www.ayrshireroots.co.uk/TNG/sear ... rch=Search)
very useful in locating my wife's family branches. We had to pick out clusters of forenames by place and date and were able to establish colateral family lines.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny