Brechin Cemetery - Plot 296/1/2/3

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

darylrodger

Brechin Cemetery - Plot 296/1/2/3

Post by darylrodger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi,

I was hoping someone out there could explain the numbering of my ggxgrandfather's grave in Brechin cemetery.

I visited there a few days ago to locate David Bruce & Isabella Keillor's grave, which I found :D although it turns out his first wife Mary Sherrit
and some of their children are also buried in the same plot but with a different ref no. does that mean there are 3 plots side by side with the same ref no. ?
i.e. H OLD 296/1/2/3. If that's the case, I'd love to know who's in the other graves. I wasn't aware that my ggxgrandmother Mary was buried in the same location
as the gravestone only mentioned David, 2nd wife Isabel, and their infant daughter Ethel. I'd hate to think I had missed taking a pic of her grave if there was one.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

Regards,

Daryl

Russell

Re: Brechin Cemetery - Plot 296/1/2/3

Post by Russell » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi Daryl
The only person who could explain the lair numbering is the person who numbered them originally. I have transcribed the Lair record for an entire church graveyard in Kilbarchan and there are variations in records depending on who was in charge of the Lair Register over the years. I have found similar inconsistencies in other graveyards e.g Wick and Halkirk up in Caithness. Some records indicated every burial in a lair; others show only one yet the stone records several others. Most unhelpful if it happens to be your ancestors.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny