Burial records for cemeteries in Blackburn West Lothian

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

derlea

Burial records for cemeteries in Blackburn West Lothian

Post by derlea » Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 am

Does anyone know where burials took place in 1897 in Blackburn. Na.e Mary Higgins 4 March 1897

carlineric

Re: Burial records for cemeteries in Blackburn West Lothian

Post by carlineric » Sat May 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Possibly Livingston Churchyard as Blackburn would have been in Livingston Parish. The other possibility would be Bathgate. I have checked the West Lothian Family History Society's Burial Register CDs and can find no trace of her. The register for Livingston only starts in 1898 and a check for burials in 1898 shows that were burials for the Blackburn/Seafield area. Depending on where she was born/ lived before or where her husband was born/lived she may have been buried outwith West Lothian. It may be worth contacting West Lothian Council's Cemeteries Office, tel 01506 282490, email customer.service@westlothian.gov.uk although I believe the CDs contain all the information held by the Office up to the 1970s.

Eric
Eric

StewL

Post by StewL » Sun May 25, 2014 6:04 am

Hello Derlea
[TS_welcome]
Hopefully some members will see this and may be able to offer some assistance.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun May 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Whitburn is the other possibility.
There doesn't appear to be a church in Blackburn itself. Old maps show an Independent Chapel on Bathgate road, and the old school building across from that is now the Gospel Hall, but the Parish Kirk must have been in a neighbouring settlement.

Blackburn and East Whitburn now sit cheek by jowl, no graveyard in East Whitburn, but there's one around Whitburn Parish church on the mid 1800's map, and a new cemetery opened by the turn of the century map, both are on the current A706 Longridge Road/ Manse Road.
Wilma

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Sun May 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Wilma

I forgot all about Whitburn. A small part of Blackburn is actually in Whitburn parish - just west of the River Almond. Until the 1720s Livingston parish extended all the way to Whitburn. I have checked for a burial in Whitburn with no result. Looking at the results I got from the CDs for Livingston Churchyard it looks like the churchyard was the burial place for Blackburn as it would be the parish church for the area. There is a COS church in Blackburn (Blackburn and Seafield) but it was not built until the early 1900s.

Eric
Eric