Greenock Cemetery.....

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

nancy

Post by nancy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:29 pm

Hi Andrew,I have ancestors buried in common ground in both Hawkhead and Woodside Cemeteries in Paisley,and as you say there's no way of telling where.I found it so sad to be at the cemetery,and no way of knowing where they lay. Nancy

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:50 pm

Hi all,

Two years ago i was "digging" for details on Craigton Cemetery in Glasgow.
I think a ladder, as well as a spade, would have to be part of the gravedigger's tools.

Apparently many of the "common ground" lairs were 10½ feet deep where unrelated folk were buried together - with no headstone.
Yes, it is indeed rather sad.

Jack

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:59 pm

Jack wrote:Hi all,

Two years ago i was "digging" for details on Craigton Cemetery in Glasgow.
I think a ladder, as well as a spade, would have to be part of the gravedigger's tools.

Apparently many of the "common ground" lairs were 10½ feet deep where unrelated folk were buried together - with no headstone.
Yes, it is indeed rather sad.

Jack
Jack if you were to go digging in Craigton now , you'd need more than a spade or ladder - scythe and suit of armour spring to mind. That place is an utter disgrace :x on the hill on some avenues, you can only get about 2 stones length in, the rest is waist high brambles!!!!

I understand that the Glasgow City have taken it over but they've decades of neglect to work their way through.
Wilma

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:20 am

Hi Wilma,

Good brambles though! wonder where they get all the nourishment...?

But you're right, it really is an overgrown jungle - most of it is, even just off the main paths. It'll take years of work to get it even half tidy.

And it's certainly no a place to visit on a dark foggy night....

Jack