Moulin cemetery lairs

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

paulpesda

Moulin cemetery lairs

Post by paulpesda » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Just had confirmation from Perth council that my ancestors are laid to rest in Moulin cemetery. They have given me a lair number. I've looked at the Memorial Inscriptions booklet too. Can anybody confirm if the plot numbers in these booklets reconcile with the lair numbers or are we talking about completely different references? I need to try and find the lair, but not sure where to start! Thanks

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Moulin cemetery lairs

Post by AndrewP » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:05 am

Hi there,

I think the answer to your question depends a lot on how the cemetery was researched in preparation for the book. If the researchers started by going to the council (or their predecessors) to ask about a the lair numbers and a cemetery map, then possibly "yes". However, they may have done their own numbering, and produced their own numbered map in the book, according to the headstones found during their research. If that is the case (and I think it is most probable to be the case), then the numbering of the lairs in the book may bear no relation to the lair numbers used by the Council. There will be a lair number regardless of if there is a headstone. However, there is only likely to be an MI given in the book if there is a headstone. In many cemeteries, there will be lairs with no headstones, for a number of reasons, such as (1) the family could not afford a headstone for their lair, or (2) the headstone has not survived, or (3) the text on the headstone has weathered beyond reading, or (4) the lair is a common ground lair (or pauper's grave), where headstones were never put up.

It would be worth contacting the cemetery records office to see if they could send you a copy of a cemetery map; or if that is not practical for them (the map could be huge - I have seen that), to see if it is possible for you to visit the Council cemetery records office and view such a map. I have seen cemetery maps that are set out in sections. There would be a map of the outline of the cemetery, showing it divided into sections (such as sections A through to L), then an individual closer-up map of each section, showing the rows of lairs, and a start and finish number for each row.

The Perth & Kinross Council webpage "lst of burial grounds" lists cemeteries in their area. On looking at the Pitlochry area listings, Moulin is not shown. Moulin Churchyard does show up on their map of cemeteries - click on the three markers on Pitlochry (they produce slightly different results from one another).

list of burial grounds
map of burial grounds

All the best,

AndrewP

paulpesda

Post by paulpesda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks Andrew. Appreciated.

Isabel H

Post by Isabel H » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:58 pm

When North Perthshire Family History Group recorded the stones at Moulin, we assigned our own numbers to the graves that are visible. Some stones are buried. I imagine the writers of the earlier book which recorded pre-1855 inscriptions would have done the same.

Whose grave are you looking for?

paulpesda

Post by paulpesda » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 am

Thank you Isabel. I visited last week and found the lair, without much difficulty. Also visited the wonderful heritage centre, which in turn (via a volunteer) found me a living relation of the family! It was the Kennedy lair, but my 2nd G grandfather McNaughton is buried with them.