Burial

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Wmarj

Burial

Post by Wmarj » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 am

Hi,
Would someone be able to tell me please which cemetery is closest to this address.I am unsure of denomination.

I have Alexander John Wilson - died 7 May 1886 age 74 yrs -at 6 Norfolk St., Glasgow
Jane Walker Wilson nee Taylor - died 7 March 1886 age 64 yrs -at 6 Norfolk St., Glasgow
Alexander Joseph Wilson - died 9 April 1883 age 19 months -at 6 Norfolk St., Glasgow - parents James Joss Wilson and Emma Wilson nee Barraclough.

I would be deeply grateful for any information offered.Thank you. Marj

WilmaM

Re: Burial

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am

The Southern Necropolis would be the closest geographically.
I did look at http://www.memento-mori.co.uk and none of those names are listed as being on headstones there - that doesn't mean they aren't buried there, they may not have had a headstone or it's no longer legible.

In the city many aren't buried in the 'nearest' but often where the wider family are ie parents grandparents etc.
So it could depend on their roots, or indeed if they were Catholic [looking at their marriage certificate will confirm that aspect] St Kentigerns or St Peters would be likely.

From Norfolk street Craigton could be a likely candidate too, if they were from Govan Parish.
Wilma

Wmarj

Post by Wmarj » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 am

Alexander John Wilson was b.abt 1813 Halifax Nova Scotia -parents James Wilson and Margaret Harper (see post Forum James Wilson and Margaret Harper 23/3/2018). I don't know when he arrived in Scotland but married Jane/Jean Walker Taylor 11/10/1843 (SP) St Clements Free Church Inverurie (her parents John Taylor and Jean/Jane Walker - burial 6/7/1857 St. Machar cemetery Aberdeen -Billiongraves have photo).Death record SP. Alexander was with Rural Constabulary Force

Alexander and Jane's children - Alexander John b.9/8/1844 bapt. 7/10/1844 Free church; Marjory Taylor Wilson b. abt 1847 Aberdeenshire (can't find bapt. record SP); Jane Walker Wilson b.17/2/1949 bapt 1/4/1849 St. Mary's with St. Peter's Aberdeen (RC bapt. SP); John Taylor Wilson b. 1850 Dysart Fife (can't find bapt. record SP); James Joss Wilson b.15/8/1854 Berwick upon Tweed (can't find Bapt.record); Charles Joseph Wilson b.18/4/1858 Botchergate Carlisle-bapt 23/5/1858 Stanwix Carlisle (FS); Mary Bristol Wilson b.27/1/1861 Eden Town Carlisle Cumberland- bapt.10/2/1861 Our Lady and St. Joseph RC Carlisle -died 16/6/1866 - buried Killingbeck RC cementery Leeds; Margaret Harper Wilson b.2/7/1864 West Walls Carlisle -bapt.17/7/1864 same church as Mary -died 27/9/1869 Freehold St. Leeds-buried with Mary in Killingbeck RC cementery (Findagrave have photo under Mary bristol Wilson).

Census records -1851 Dysart Fife -Sheriff Officer; 1861 Stanwix Carlisle Cumberland working for railways; 1871 Leeds Inspector of Railway Clearing House; 1881 5 Park Ave. Gorton Lancashire -District Inspector of Railway Clearing House.

I don't know when Alexander and Jane went to live with son James Joss and Emma nee Barraclough Wilson at 6 Norfolk St. Glasgow.
I couldn't find any Wills or probate index anywhere. I was hoping they were buried with grandson Alexander Joseph d.19mths at same address but can't find his grave either. James and Emma immigrated to Australia 1887.

Glasgow Archives did a search of St Kintigan's RC; Southern Nec; Craigton; Eastern Nec; Gorbal's Burial ground; High Church Burial Ground; Lambhill; Glasgow Nec; Sandymount cemetery but they reported no results. I did tell them I was unsure if Alexander John was RC or other denomination.
His children have mixed Baptism records so can't determine through them.

I would be happy to follow up any suggestions as I am really stuck.
Thank you

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:54 pm

It sounds as if you've covered all the avenues.

Only other suggestion is if their deaths were announced in the newspaper then the funeral details might be there.
Wilma

Wmarj

Post by Wmarj » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi,
Thank you for everything.

I have checked most newspapers even ones in Leeds and Lancashire to see if his children who still lived in those areas put a notice in their local papers too but couldn't find any. I couldn't find any retirement articles either in Leeds and Lancashire which surprised me seeing he worked for a railway department for over 20 years and I believe, from other direct descendants, that he was well respected.

No one else researching Alexander John has found his burial place either. He's out there somewhere so I'll keep on digging - I'm too stubborn to give up.

Kind regards,

Marj