Possible Grave markers? - Guthrie Churchyard, Angus.....

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

LesleyB

Possible Grave markers? - Guthrie Churchyard, Angus.....

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Hi all
I saw these in the churchyard at Guthrie, Angus, yesterday. The churchyard has some very old graves including a cracking one from the 1620s! But there are also many contemporary graves close to these "markers", so its very difficult to assess their likely age.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-354

Anybody any idea what they are? I thought they might be marking the sites of burials? Anyone seen anyhhing like these before?

Best wishes
Lesley
Last edited by LesleyB on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:56 am

Hi Lesley,

The stones of that size that I have seen I believe are called footstones. Perhaps unsurprisingly, they mark the opposite end of the lair from the headstone. Most of these have had the initials of the deceased marked on them. In more recent times, a lot of the footstones have been moved to beside the headstones to make grass cutting easier.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:13 am

Hi Andrew
Ah, that's interesting. In this case it would appear the headstones are long gone! There was certainly no sign of any at that spot. But your explanation would make perfect sense and I think I may have seen what must have been "footstones" before, now I think about it - these ones puzzled me as they seemed to be out on their own, but I think they may just be "orphans". :D

Best wishes
Lesley