St Convals Cemetery Barrhead.....

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

neleh_22

St Convals Cemetery Barrhead.....

Post by neleh_22 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:57 pm

Hi,

I have a certificate which belonged to my grandmother which says she is entered as holder in the books of the St convals Cemetery Barrhead as proprietor of the exclusive right of burial, subject to the regulations of the catholic church, in tomb number *** section number * Class A It being declared that the length of the said tomb shall not exceed 7and a half feet, nor the breadth thereof exceed 3 feet single lair. I would like to know if this gets passed down in families as my grandmother only had one son ( my father ) they are both deceased now. None of them are in that tomb but I think her father may be in it as his death date is 2 days before the certificate is dated. Could her father be the original owner. Anyone any idea how I could find out.

Helen
Whitelaw,Hall,Kennedy,Gorman,Folan McLaughlan

STUARTDALGLEISH

Re: St Convals Cemetery Barrhead

Post by STUARTDALGLEISH » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:15 am

neleh_22 wrote:Hi,

I have a certificate which belonged to my grandmother which says she is entered as holder in the books of the St convals Cemetery Barrhead as proprietor of the exclusive right of burial

Helen
Helen, I'm certainly not an expert here but to me it looks like your Grandmother purchased the lair when your Grandfather died. As to the lair being passed down, well you are now the owner as you now hold the documents. I'm not sure if you need to contact St Convals to tell them this (pretty sure you don't) as we buried my Gran in a plot she owned and the funeral directors arranged it all after seeing the paperwork. I assume you know where St Convals is in Barrhead and have you visited to see if there is a headstone which would maybe give you some information about your Grandfather.

Cheers

Stuart
LOOKING FOR JACK, CAMERON, HISLOP/HYSLOP, DOWDS/DODD, ROSS, ROSE

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:16 am

Hi as far as my recollection goes you "own" the lair for a certain amount of time after the last interment-not that long either about 30 years?
I think the practise is that if they are going to remove the remains then they try to contact relatives but it is not unknown for someone else to be buried there or the remains taken with no recourse to the relatives of the occupant of the grave
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:17 am

I have a certificate which belonged to my grandmother which says she is entered as holder in the books of the St convals Cemetery Barrhead as proprietor of the exclusive right of burial, subject to the regulations of the catholic church, in tomb number *** section number * Class A It being declared that the length of the said tomb shall not exceed 7and a half feet, nor the breadth thereof exceed 3 feet single lair. I would like to know if this gets passed down in families as my grandmother only had one son ( my father ) they are both deceased now. None of them are in that tomb but I think her father may be in it as his death date is 2 days before the certificate is dated. Could her father be the original owner. Anyone any idea how I could find out.

Helen
Hello Helen,

I see you live in Glasgow.
In that case I think you should phone or visit St. Convals. As far as I'm aware there is an admin office there with records.

Regards,
Annette M

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 am

Hi Helen

When i found my gt grandmothers grave last year i went to the local council offices to get more information. The plot was bought by her husband and would be forever his (even though he is long dead),unlike my other gt grandparents grave, they are buried on common ground (they didnt own the plot) so will stay i think for 100 years before used again or i buy the plot for around £300 -£400. Going back to the first one, the bought one, i can have the deeds of the grave signed over to me for a small fee. Although its always a good idea just out of courtesy to get permission from any living family if you can find them.
This is in England though, not sure about Scotland rules but worth checking out.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 am

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I did visit the site about 5 years ago before my dad died. He did not know anything about the lair but there is no headstone there and at that time I had not even started doing my family history. Since then I have found out my dad had 3 brothers who all died young and I am wondering if they are in that lair. If I turned up at St Convals with the certificate would they be able to tell me who is in the lair.

Helen

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:32 am

Thanks for the replies, I did visit the site about 5 years ago before my dad died. He did not know anything about the lair but there is no headstone there and at that time I had not even started doing my family history. Since then I have found out my dad had 3 brothers who all died young and I am wondering if they are in that lair. If I turned up at St Convals with the certificate would they be able to tell me who is in the lair.

Helen
Helen,

My mum phoned about 5 years ago with a rough date of a burial and they were able to give her the info she was looking for.
Hopefully nothing will have changed.
Why don't you phone them first?

Annette M

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks Annette I will try that first as I won't be able to visit till my next day off which will be next week.

Helen

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:09 am

Hi Helen,
I phoned St. Convals last year when trying to help someone - the staff were very helpful.
And when we visited the cemetery the lady even took us to the gravestone.
Excellent service.
Jack

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:45 am

Thanks Jack,

Wish I could phone now but I suppose I will have to wait till tomorrow.

Helen