Burial location.....

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

HeatherV

Burial location.....

Post by HeatherV » Mon May 23, 2005 8:05 pm

Any and all advice appreciated !

Year ~ 1887 ~

Logically - would a individual be buried somewhere near where they died or if their 'family home' was elsewhere would one be buried there ?

I am trying to find a gravesite for my GG Grandmother who died in St. Quivoix, Ayrshire in 1887. To date I can find no record of her grave there and am curious if there was any tradition followed at that time.
At the time of her death her husband was still alive and presumably still living in St. Quivox, her parents also were still alive but lived elsewhere in Ayrshire.

Heather
Researching: Fulton, Lidster, Murdoch, MacLean, Graham, Shedden, Fairlie, Renton, Lynch, Gordon

DavidWW

Re: Burial location

Post by DavidWW » Mon May 23, 2005 10:03 pm

HeatherV wrote:Any and all advice appreciated !

Year ~ 1887 ~

Logically - would a individual be buried somewhere near where they died or if their 'family home' was elsewhere would one be buried there ?

I am trying to find a gravesite for my GG Grandmother who died in St. Quivoix, Ayrshire in 1887. To date I can find no record of her grave there and am curious if there was any tradition followed at that time.
At the time of her death her husband was still alive and presumably still living in St. Quivox, her parents also were still alive but lived elsewhere in Ayrshire.

Heather
Heather

50 years previously I'd have said, look in her parish of birth....... but by this era, the tradition was no longer just that strong.

Things can get complicated..............

My father was born in Glasgow, his father in Montrose, and his wife's (my grandpa WEBSTER's wife) family came from Girvan. My eponymous grandpa chose to retire to Girvan, where he and Isabella (born Kilbarchan) are buried, and that's where my father chose to be buried ........ work that one out :!:

Davie

STUARTDALGLEISH

Post by STUARTDALGLEISH » Mon May 23, 2005 10:10 pm

Hi David,

They all chose Girvan so they could be near the best golf course in the world...the lovely Ailsa at Turnberry.
:D :D :D

Cheers

Stuart

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon May 23, 2005 10:17 pm

STUARTDALGLEISH wrote:Hi David,

They all chose Girvan so they could be near the best golf course in the world...the lovely Ailsa at Turnberry.
:D :D :D

Cheers

Stuart
Sad comment ....... my father played golf, but, - he died when I was 12, - I haven't the faintest idea if David William WEBSTER played ............

Davie

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu May 26, 2005 2:26 am

What was it Mark Twain (Samuel Clements) said, golf is a good walk wasted :wink: :wink:

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

HeatherV

Post by HeatherV » Thu May 26, 2005 3:28 am

So - logically - if this girl died where she, her husband and children lived the first place to look would be that area ? Perhaps the second logical place to look would be home area of her parents if they were still alive at the time of her death ?

Heatherv
Researching: Fulton, Lidster, Murdoch, MacLean, Graham, Shedden, Fairlie, Renton, Lynch, Gordon

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu May 26, 2005 7:14 am

HeatherV wrote:So - logically - if this girl died where she, her husband and children lived the first place to look would be that area ? Perhaps the second logical place to look would be home area of her parents if they were still alive at the time of her death ?

Heatherv
Heather

I can't fault that logic.

Davie