1861 Hugh Logan

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

marymlogan

Re: Hugh Logan and Marion Logan nee Brodie

Post by marymlogan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:48 pm

Hello Eleanor and everyone
As it's ages since I posted I had almost given up on anyone responding so it was good to hear from you. Unfortunately I haven't looked at my notes for some time but now that I've heard from you I'll get them all out again. :D
You say you're related to my husband through great great great Grandfather Hugh Logan. You also gave me some info re your Father, Grandfather and great Grandfather but can you tell me more about your great great Grandfather? Where did he fit in Hugh and Marion's family? As mentioned in an earlier post my husband's great great Grandfather was James. I'm afraid I don't really have much info on the rest of the family though. Where are you based? As you can see we are in Lanarkshire. James and his family moved here from Ayrshire around 1867. He was a miner.
I'm still trying to find out more about great great great Grandfather Hugh. I see from one of your posts you mention that you have a death certificate for Hugh. You say he was listed as a Weaver and that his wife is listed as Jean Barclay and not Marion Brodie. I hate to say this Eleanor but I don't think this is our Hugh. Sorry. My reason being that on the 1841 Census Hugh's occupation is given as Agricultural Worker and on his son James' marriage certificate although deceased at that point, his occupation was Labourer. In the 1851 Census Marion is a widow. Hugh must have passed away between 1841 and 1851. I have found a death of a Hugh Logan, a farmer in Dalry, died 8 January 1850. Aged 57. Cause of death: Dropsey. I feel this sounds more like our Hugh. According to this he would be born around 1793. Not sure if this ties in though. Unfortunately not enough details in these OPRs. ](*,) Will need to check more. :?:
Anyway Eleanor I would appreciate if you could supply me with any more details and I'll be pleased to provide you with any more info I have. Maybe someone will also be able to help. I had hoped that Dibit may have been able to help also.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Mary

Dibit

Re: 1861 Hugh Logan

Post by Dibit » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Hello Mary,
I would love to look at the documents you have found including the death of Hugh Logan 1850. Finding Hugh's parents is proving difficult, I don't have enough information to confirm Hugh Logan and Elizabeth Frew. Has your husband ever submitted for DNA testing? Sadly I am unable, as I descend from the Logan line through my Mother. I have Hugh Logan and Elizabeth Frew listed in my tree, and his brother Matthew and family but I am not confident this is correct.
Let me know what you think?
I descend through Hugh Logan(Marion Brodie), James(Margaret Parker), John(Christina Hamilton), James(Dora Mallows), David(Agnes), my mother.... so unable to submit for DNA testing :(

David
if you send send me a PM I can send you a link to my genealogy site
Re-searching Barnes(Dumbarton,Scotland & Ireland), Cullen(Magherafelt, Ireland & Dumbarton, Scotland), Logan(Ayrshire & Lanarkshire) Boyle(Bonhill,Dunbartonshire & Ireland) Irwine(Down, Ireland) McAlpine(Luss,Scotland) Oliver (Dumbarton & Ireland)