Searching for Gallocher, 1871 census

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

catbug

Searching for Gallocher, 1871 census

Post by catbug » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:37 pm

Hello all,

I haven't posted for a while as I had major computer problems which resulted in all of my family tree research being lost - nightmare! I have eventually gathered most of my information into order (of sorts!) again, so am now back to trying to demolish a few old brick walls and wondered if anyone could help? Just now I am looking for James Gallocher (various spellings) and family in the 1871 census. I have found them in the 1861 census, in 59 New Vennel, Glasgow, which says:-

James Gallocher, head, 46, Clothes Dealer, Ireland
Ellen Gallocher, wife, 46, Shirtmaker, Ireland
Richard and William Gallocher (twins), sons, 13, Cloth Cutters, Old Monkland
John Gallocher, son, 7, Airdrie
This census also has his stepchildren (mother Ellen) James, Sarah, Jason, William John and one other name I can't make out, all born in Glasgow.

I cannot find any of these people on the 1871 census however hard I look. I have also looked for James' DC (he was previously married to a Mary O'Hara who died in 1859) as well as his 2nd wife Ellen's DC, along with the Gallocher children's DCs and have come up with nothing. They may all be indexed under a new weird and wonderful spelling that I haven't thought of yet, or I just may be missing them in my search. If anyone could help with this it would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Cat

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:17 pm

Hi Cat,
I don't suppose this could be them? The occupation looks plausible, but the children don't seem to correspond :?

Kirkton Toll Carnells Land, Neilston, Renfrewshire
James Gallocher, 56, Head, born Ireland, Tailor
Ellen Gallocher, 50, Wife, born Ireland
Mary Gallocher, 18, Daughter, born Ireland, Bleacher
Larkin Gallocher, 15, Son, born Ireland, Bleacher
Margaret Gallocher, 10, Daughter, born Lendodar, Dumbartonshire, 1/2 Conn Mill Worker 7 Scholar
Catherine Gallocher, 7, Daughter, born Lendodar, Dumbartonshire, Scholar

If they are really gone, perhaps they went back to Ireland?

Regards,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Hello Cat,

Have you looked at the Richard Gallacher b 1848 who died in Dunbartonshire in 1873.

What was Ellen's maiden name?

Regards,
Annette M

catbug

Post by catbug » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:30 pm

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated :D Unfortunately I don't think this is the correct family as the mother of these children seem to be an Ellen McBryde, whereas the Ellen in the the Gallocher family I am looking for had the maiden name Allan, before becoming Ellen Glendinning after her first marriage. I have looked at other sources, such as the English, American and Canadian censuses on the Family Search website, but unfortunately can't find anything that fits there either. I hope they didn't go back to Ireland as I have other lines that lead back there and have had to stop as I can't gain access to any useful records, but it's starting to look like a distinct possibilty.

Thanks once more for your input :D
Cat

catbug

Post by catbug » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi Annette,

Thanks for your reply :D I must've just missed it as I was typing my previous post. Ellen's maiden name was Allan, previously Glendinning and Richard's mother was Mary O'Hara - James' first wife who died in 1860. I didn't see this death result when I was looking on SP earlier, I'll go and look for it now :D

EDIT:- I have just looked at this death and it seems to be the correct Richard, thanks so much! At least now I know they seemed to still live in Scotland in 1873, so I don't know why I can't find them on the census, or James' DC. There is an RCE though, so I will look at that as soon as I get the chance, as my internet connection isn't working at it's best just now, then do some further investigating.

Thanks again,
Cat

catbug

Post by catbug » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Just thought I'd add a bit to this thread, in case anyone is still following it, as I have found Ellen's death (under Helen, age unrecorded in the index) in 1865, which explains why I couldn't find her in the 1871 census. I know James lived until at least 1873 but I still can't find him, although I'll keep looking :D

Regards,
Cat

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:12 am

Hi Cat,

Glad you found Helen.

Did she die in Dunbarton?

Could James have married again?
1881 Census -

Dwelling: 7 College St
Census Place: Dumbarton, Dumbarton, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203549 GRO Ref Volume 496 EnumDist 8 Page 1
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James GALLACHER M 66 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Gen Lab
Mary GALLACHER 45 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
William SWAN U 28 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Lodger
Occ: Coal Carter

Regards,
Annette M

catbug

Post by catbug » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi Annette,

Helen/Ellen died in Glasgow, either at 57 or 59 New Vennel. It looks like 57 but it could be a mistake as the 1861 census, etc, has them at number 59. I also thought James could have remarried, but so far haven't confirmed this, although it's another thing I'm looking into. If he did remarry then the 1881 census entry you found seems to be one of the most likely, due to age, place of birth, etc. The search continues :D

Thanks again for your input!
Cat

Dizzy

Re: Searching for Gallocher, 1871 census

Post by Dizzy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Catbug

Just trolling through Census information and came across my relatives (Dalziel along with a Family called Sweeney) living in 1851 at 59 New Vennel Glasgow.
Also shows them at New Vennel in 1861 with a Grandson Divine living in New Vennel. Wonder if our Families shared the same accommodation or if, as you said, yours were at 57.

Currie

Re: Searching for Gallocher, 1871 census

Post by Currie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello Dizzy, and welcome to TalkingScot.

Catbug doesn't appear to have visited the forum since 2011, but, if she still has the same email address, she may receive notification of your posting.

New Vennel seems to have consisted mainly of three and four story tenement buildings, each containing many households. Some tenements had shops on the ground floor. There was a school at No.63. It is possible that 57 and 59 were part of a single building.

It seems to have been a pretty awful area, one of the worst in Glasgow. http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/Mar2006.html

Also see last part of “A Night in the Lower Regions of Glasgow”, The Glasgow Herald - Feb 17, 1866 https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_ ... %2C2310192

All the best,
Alan