A story from Sunday's Times -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 026322.ece

Regards,
Annette :(

emanday
Global Moderator

Re: 2011 - Last Census?

Post by emanday » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Well, at least I won't be around in 2121 complaining about the lack of a 2021 census to further my family research :lol:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 pm

And the U.S. 2010 census is pared down to only 10 questions: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/i ... e-form.php
The upsetting thing for genealogists is that the place of birth is not asked :!: Just a bunch of questions about race which are becoming more and more complex to answer as more people can claim ancestry from 3 or 4 or 5 different races... Somehow, I don't think the people who design the questionnaire are thinking much about family history research :roll:

Regards,
Sarah

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 am

SarahND wrote:And the U.S. 2010 census is pared down to only 10 questions: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/i ... e-form.php
The upsetting thing for genealogists is that the place of birth is not asked :!: Just a bunch of questions about race which are becoming more and more complex to answer as more people can claim ancestry from 3 or 4 or 5 different races... Somehow, I don't think the people who design the questionnaire are thinking much about family history research :roll:

Regards,
Sarah
They did this in the last census in Australia - I was horrified - I find the fixation on race in modern times crazy - given another 100 years or so & everyone will be a mixture of every ethnic group. And I don't think the people who design the questionnaire are thinking - period.

Trish

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 am

Hello all,

I reckon that in 100 years time people’s only interest in family history will probably be cursing their ancestors four generations back for what they did to the world’s climate. They’ll be too busy paddling, breathing, scavenging, brawling or whatever to be interested in any other pursuits.

On a brighter note I just bought a large LCD monitor to replace my aged CRT and I’m thinking of buying some sunglasses to go with it.

Alan

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Alan

Regretfully I have to agree wholeheartedly with you. The expression "going to Hell on wheels" describes, I think, the speed with which we are destroying a beautiful place. We seem to be in a world where 'get rich quick' is a mantra too many subscribe to regardless of the damage it causes.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Currie wrote:On a brighter note I just bought a large LCD monitor to replace my aged CRT and I’m thinking of buying some sunglasses to go with it.

Alan
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [many-greens]

I was in the process of dunking a ginger nut when I read this! Needless to say the whole blasted biscuit landed in the bottom of the mug!
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Currie wrote: I reckon that in 100 years time people’s only interest in family history will probably be cursing their ancestors four generations back for what they did to the world’s climate. They’ll be too busy paddling, breathing, scavenging, brawling or whatever to be interested in any other pursuits.
You're right, of course! The general attitude of manufaturers and the like is "Well, I won't be here, so why should I care"
Currie wrote:On a brighter note I just bought a large LCD monitor to replace my aged CRT and I’m thinking of buying some sunglasses to go with it.
I'm on my 2nd LCD monitor. The first one was about the same size as the old CRT, so not too much of a shock to the senses, but this one is the same height and almost twice the width!

Got a spare pair of sunglasses, Alan?
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:55 am

I had a spare pair of clip-ons Mary but they fell down to where my heels rest when I’m driving the car and I didn’t realise they were there. Needless to say they suffered severely.

I didn’t go for the widescreen variety but picked up a good used monitor with the standard 4:3 dimensions. I like to stack things up on the screen. I’ve been fiddling with the settings today and it’s not quite as bad now as it was.

You can even rotate the screen on this one. I’ve noticed already that it’s quite a climb for the mouse to get all the way to the X button so I don’t know how rotating it would go.

The next thing I’ll have to do is fix up the wallpaper on my desktop and folders as it’s all over the place with the new screen resolution. Then there’s all that wasted space at the back of the monitor. Maybe a pot-plant or something could go there and I could have a jungle theme on my desktop?

All the best,
Alan

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:27 am

Currie wrote:Then there’s all that wasted space at the back of the monitor.
Personally, I use all the freed-up space that's now at the FRONT of the pushed back monitor (got new specs :lol: ) to pile up printed out certs and the like. It also means that I can push the keyboard back out of the way and have a decent writing surface. It was like getting a bigger desk =D>
[b]Mary[/b]