Not On 1911 Census...Why Not?

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Del 80

Not On 1911 Census...Why Not?

Post by Del 80 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Hello, I have a chap named Hugh Joseph Clarke, born Ardrossan in 1900, he is on the 1901 census, in Ardrossan, but not on the 1911, does anyone know why this would be? apart from the obvious reasons, I have also checked the census for Ireland and for England......no sign of him, any help appreciated, Regards Del.
Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Not On 1911 Census...Why Not?

Post by AndrewP » Sat May 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Del,

What were his parents' names? Any sign of them on the 1911 census?

All the best,

AndrewP

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat May 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Andrew,
In 1901 he is with his grandmother and possibly his mother Susanna. Looks like they have just come over from Ireland between the births of the two boys:

9 Harbour Lane, Ardrossan, Ayrshire
Anne McDowall, 64, Head, born Ireland
Joseph McDowall, 30, Son, born Ireland, Dock Labourer
Susanna Clarke, 24, Daur, born Ireland
John Cummings, 27, Boarder, born Ireland, Road Cleaner
Richard Cummings, 21, Boarder, born Ireland, Pointsman (railway)
Samuel A Clarke, 3, Grandson, born Ireland
Hugh Joseph Clarke, 1, Grandson, born Ardrossan

All the best,
Sarah

Here is another thread on that family: viewtopic.php?t=16383

Del 80

Post by Del 80 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Yes it's those Clarke's again, just wondered why HJC does not appear on the 1911, why would an 11 year old be away from home? or could he just have been missed off by mistake? Regards Del.
Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat May 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Del,

The 1911 census has only Susannah and two young daughters. No sign of her husband or either of the boys who were on the 1901 census.

Do you know where any of the males of the family were in 1911?

All the best,

AndrewP

Del 80

Post by Del 80 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi Andrew, Hugh Joseph's father is a brickwall at the moment, I don't think he ever came to Scotland, HJC'S brother, Samuel Allan Clarke, is I think in Ireland in 1911, with his grandmother Anne McDowell....think she is mistranscribed as Anne McDOWDALL, Hugh Joseph's mother Sussanah is still in Ardrossan with two illegitimate daughters in 1911, she did have several brothers, one, Joseph is in Ardrossan, I have him on the 1911, and the rest I think are still in Ireland, but HJC does not show up anywhere, Regards Del.

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Del 80 wrote:Hi Andrew, Hugh Joseph's father is a brickwall at the moment, I don't think he ever came to Scotland, HJC'S brother, Samuel Allan Clarke, is I think in Ireland in 1911, with his grandmother Anne McDowell....think she is mistranscribed as Anne McDOWDALL, Hugh Joseph's mother Sussanah is still in Ardrossan with two illegitimate daughters in 1911, she did have several brothers, one, Joseph is in Ardrossan, I have him on the 1911, and the rest I think are still in Ireland, but HJC does not show up anywhere, Regards Del.
Susannah is not shown as having illegimate kids in the 1911 census in Ardrossan. She is shown as married, for 15 years, and having had 4 kids (by implication from that marriage), all still living,

The 1900 Scottish birth record in Ardrossan for Hugh Joseph CLARKE clearly shows the name of his father, and that the couple were married in Kilmegan in Co. Down in 1896 (but see also below ?? ............ for the note of doubt introduced thereby ! )

The name of Hugh's elder brother in the 1901 census, Samuel Allan clearly links to the father declared for Hugh Joseph.

So where was wee Hugh in 1911?, - my bet would be Ulster in or around Kilmegan, Co. Down.

Then he came back to Scotland, where he died (I assume), -

1972 CLARKE HUGH JOSEPH 71 SALTCOATS /NORTH AYRSHIRE 662/00 0071

Just to confuse matters there's another birth in Ardrossan of a Joseph Hugh CLARKE, -

1918 CLARKE JOSEPH HUGH M ARDROSSAN NEW /AYR 576/02 0111

In that era, in the West of Scotland it's quite common to find family members wheeching back and forth across the North Channel between Ulster and Scotland.

Via Susanna's 1920 death in Ayr County Hospital, but usual address in Adrossan, showing her as married twice, it's straightforward to find the details of her remarriage, so that wee Hugh Joseph's father presumably died before that date, but see also below.................

Not only that, but tracking down the births of Sarah's two daughters shown in the 1911 census, Annie and Sarah (I'm unsure just what is shown in 1911 but it ain't 'Sarah', - maybe 'Foster' which could cross-check with her birth record's middle name) opens up a can of worms, as, in both cases, Susannah declares that Samuel CLARKE is not their father, and that she hasn't seen or heard from him for 11, respectively, 8 years !

I now see the previous thread at viewtopic.php?t=16383 has most of this info, which could very usefully have been included or referred to at the start of this thread. #-o #-o

mb

Del 80

Post by Del 80 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:01 am

M.B. I have lots of information on this family, I was simply looking for ideas as to why Hugh Joseph is not on the 1911 census, you may well be right, he could have been in Ireland, he just does not show up anywhere, which I find strange. Regards Del.