Abraham Rosen, 1901 census and other family records

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

killearnan

Abraham Rosen, 1901 census and other family records

Post by killearnan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:57 am

I'm trying to help a friend with her family history, since I'm stuck on mine until I can go to Scotland or Ireland :P

Her family seems to have meandered around Scotland, Ireland, and northern England, after immigrating from Russia (in the early 1890s-ish) and before heading to Canada in 1904 (records say he was naturalized UK citizen, as does the 1901 census return, but I haven't found a record of the naturalization in the UK records available on-line), where Abraham died in Toronto in 1916 (Rebecca and a stillborn child died at Guelph in January 1908, and Abraham remarried to a woman named Mushe).

In 1901, the family is in Gateshead, where I did find them in the census returns, via Ancestry.

Can anyone read Abraham's occupation?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/killearnan/15568055755/
Based on my friend's family stories, I know what I want it to say, but better to check with people who haven't heard those stories :D

I've found Bessie's birth in the 1st quarter of 1899 in Newcastle, but none of the other children in Scotland or Ireland. There should be Wolf/William ca. 1893, Sarah ca. 1895, and Mary/Marion/Miriam ca. 1898 in Scotland and Katie about 1896 in Ireland (likely Dublin). Minnie was born in 1903, supposedly in Scotland (1911 Canadian census), but the Minnie Rosen's birth that I have found is a different set of parents :(

Not sure if Abraham and Rebecca married in the UK/Ireland or if they married in Russia before immigrating to the UK; haven't found them in the 1891 census but don't know if that means they were still in Russia or just got missed.

Any help appreciated!
BJ
McGee (Donegal to Edinburgh), Jamieson/Guthrie (Leith), Keddie (Peebles, Galashiels), Little (Cavers, Traquair), Arthur (Galashiels) , Paterson (Edinburgh, with occ. spells in Stirling, Greenock, Leith), Ralston (Glasgow to Stirling), Greig (Elgin)

momat

Re: Abraham Rosen, 1901 census and other family records

Post by momat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:13 am

Hi,
Abrahams occupation Tin ? Traveller .

Scotlands People site http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Search

Sarah born in 21 Oxford Lane Gorbals Glasgow 8th December 1894
Miriam born in 30 Crown Street Gorbals Glasgow 15th October 1897

Parents Abraham and Rebecca nee Witechik ? Married 21st October 1891 KOVNO Russia.

No obvious sign of Woolf but other possibles on the site .I ran out of credits.

Hope this helps.
Maureen

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 am

Hi,

There was also an earlier Sarah born to this couple in Gorbals, Glasgow (presumably died young and the next daughter was given the same name).

Sarah Rosin - 1892 - Abraham Rosin, coal dealer and Rebecca Rosin, M.S. Woitchick, married 1891 A_____l, Russian Poland

The marriage place was difficult to read, but was not Kovno, or anything of the like.

All the best,

AndrewP

killearnan

Post by killearnan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:48 am

Wow! THANKS [cheers]

Why I post here ~ my eyes got tired and I had too many details swirling in my head.... somehow those birth entries didn't connect for me (only found the Miriam as an alternate for Mary/Marion this evening; should have circled back to Scotlandspeople before hitting post); once again, family stories prove partly right ~ was expecting Edinburgh/Dundee rather than Glasgow.

Tin traveler wasn't what I was hoping for with the 1901 occupation, but it's a reasonable reading of what's there :shock:

Back to poking around!

Thanks again!
BJ
McGee (Donegal to Edinburgh), Jamieson/Guthrie (Leith), Keddie (Peebles, Galashiels), Little (Cavers, Traquair), Arthur (Galashiels) , Paterson (Edinburgh, with occ. spells in Stirling, Greenock, Leith), Ralston (Glasgow to Stirling), Greig (Elgin)

momat

Post by momat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:55 am

The two births clearly state parents marriage was in KOVNO Russia.

The only Wolf Rosen on Scotlands data was one who died in 1911 aged 36 in St Giles Edinburgh.

On free bmd there are two Woolf /Wolf Rosen .
One born 1896 in Whitechapel. The other in 1908 Mile End.
Maureen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:14 am

Hi BJ,
Looks like Fur Traveller to me, but maybe I'm influenced by searching for my daughter-in-law's family who also came from Russia around that time and who were doing things with fur.

Best wishes,
Sarah

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:23 am

The name KOVNO took me map hunting. It is the city nowadays known as Kaunas in Lithuania. Over the years the country borders have changed many times in that area.

For the city name, see this quote from Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:Before Lithuania regained independence, the city was generally known in English as Kovno, the traditional Slavicized form of its name; the Polish name is Kowno; the Belarusian name is Koўнa, Kowna. An earlier Russian name was Ковно Kovno, although Каунас Kaunas has been used since 1940. The Yiddish name is Kovne (קאָװנע), while its names in German include Kaunas and Kauen.

(So far) I haven't found anything on the maps of that area to be like the place name for the marriage that was given on the 1892 birth certificate.

It looks like the records in that area have suffered for many reasons.
See: http://www.litvaksig.org/litvaksig-onli ... -archives-

All the best,

AndrewP

momat

Post by momat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Had another look at Abrahams occupation on census and could be fur traveler.
On Sarah's BC he is Coal dealer and on Miriam's Drapery Traveler .
Kovno/ Kaunus was Russian then Lithuania depending on the times.

Many of my family came from this area and records are like hens teeth,so you are lucky if you find some certificates for them on Scotland's People as they do have that vital bit of information I.E.place and date of marriage of parents :D
Cheers,
Maureen