Manson's of Bower ~ Dunnet ~ Wick

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Indiana.59

Re: Manson's of Bower ~ Dunnet ~ Wick

Post by Indiana.59 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am

Hi Sue

Robert is Donald's Shaw's grandson from his 3rd son Alistair Shaw - sadly Alistair Shaw B: 1950 is now deceased Indiana x x x
Last edited by Indiana.59 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cleo3

Post by Cleo3 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi Dianne,

Many thanks for your reply and the information you have shared with me. Do you know what year he was born or who his mother was by any chance - I'm having trouble finding his birth :? Or if he was older or younger than Andrew and Neil - assuming I am correct in thinking Alistair married Maureen Connelly? Am I correct in thinking that Alistair then married for a second time to Margaret Koprowski and they had a son Daniel?

Best wishes,
Sue xx

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Cleo3 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:38 pm
Hi Indiana,

I am trying to trace a possible grandson of Donald Shaw who I believe was called Robert and lives/lived in Workington, Cumbria - can you help me with this at all, please?

Best wishes,

Sue

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Cleo3 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:28 pm
Hi Indiana,

Many thanks for your reply and the information you have shared with me. Do you know what year he was born or who his mother was by any chance - I'm having trouble finding his birth :? Or if he was older or younger than Andrew and Neil - assuming I am correct in thinking Alistair married Maureen Connelly? Am I correct in thinking that Alistair then married for a second time to Margaret Koprowski and they had a son Daniel?

Best wishes,
Sue xx

IRC

Post by IRC » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Indiana

I am equally sorry to be so late in responding to your post of 3 March 2018. My mother Jane Cockburn Collis formerly Jane Cockburn Johnston died on 3 May 2018. She didn't like the name Jane claiming that her mother Charlotte wanted her to be called Constance, so friends called her Connie. She claimed her father Thomas had been persuaded by his mother to register Jane as her name. When lucid in her latter years she often recalled her days visiting her grandmother Jane Johnston in Berwick who I believe was of Irish descent and who apparently 'ruled the roost' as my mother put it. My mother met my father, Ron, whilst he was convalescing in an Edinburgh hospital during the Second World War, married him a few months later and moved to England. She carried on nursing despite being married which was supposedly not officially allowed at the time. On our family visits up to see Thomas Johnston and his second wife in Orwell Terrace in Edinburgh, we often called in to see your Grandmother Nora and her husband Donald. I remember they had some sort of farm or smallholding. I thought your Gran played a big part in caring for both Thomas and his wife in their final weeks. My younger sister may know more as she went up with my Mum when Mum went to help nurse Thomas during his final weeks. Thomas was a real character. He was a successful amateur boxer in his youth and would often send me clippings of boxing techniques when I was a child. He loved a drink and a sing song. I think he suffered an injury at the Battle of the Somme in 1916, and had most of one leg amputated which must have been very traumatic. I too remember the hole in his false leg because he would say that was where the German's bullet passed through and liked to take the poker from the fire and push it all the way through whilst still wearing his trousers. Presumably in reality he got some sort of shrapnel wound. I believe Charlotte Manson was a Red Cross Nurse during the first world war, so she may have first met Thomas out in France.

Kind Regards
IRC

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:15 pm

Sorry IRC, I have never seen past the first message, and have only found this today June 2021, I hear what you are saying, could we have met I wonder back in the day, the small holding was my home in my younger years before my father and mother moved away, I wonder if you could contact me on Facebook as Dianne Shaw, my profile cover picture is blue with rabbits on it, hope all is well since the death of your mother, as we lost Eleanor at such a young age (68) it is lovely to hear tales of the past. Yes, Thomas was a character, I have a photo of your Mam, Jane (Connie) as a nurse back in the day shared on a famiy tree site, she was a stunning woman, both Eleanor and Jane had the same eyes, The Mansons and the Johnstons go back into the Orkey Isles, which the famiy tree on site covers, have you seen it, if not I can direct you there, I did wonder how Charlotte met Thomas, and you Mam, Ronald, quess we know now, I do not know yet if there are more messages, so no idea where I am up too, Charlotte who was named firstly as Janet I think, where later her name was changed, no wonder why we are all confused. it is so late in the day here, try to Keep in touch via Facebook, it is so easier for me to use, I will check back here on the messages now I realised there was more than one, such a idiot me, it is a good job I saved the conversation on my bookmarks, or I would never had found it again, take care, Dianne . . . : )

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Sorry Sue

I realized we are not to give information on the living, so no help there I am afraid, Alistairs death year is wrong, my apologies, could you say who you are, and why you are inquiring, but, hope you found what you are looking for . . . Dianne