Help with Census Look-up for David B. Fargie

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

davedmaine

Help with Census Look-up for David B. Fargie

Post by davedmaine » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Hello.
I was wondering if someone could help me look up a census after 1911 for a David Bennett Fargie, born 1904-1984 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
This is my grandfather and he was a coal miner in Prestonpans.
His father was Robert Fargie, 1866 and mother Helen Bennett, 1869 both born in Edinburgh.
His siblings were Henry, Agnes, Robert, Elizabeth and William.

I've found earlier censuses of the family but they are before my grandfather was born.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thank you,Joy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Help with Census Look-up for David B. Fargie

Post by AndrewP » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:41 pm

HI Joy,

The decennial censuses have a closure period of 100 years, so there are none newer than 1911 available for any of us to consult. He is there as a 6 year old in the 1911 census at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk on a pay per view basis.

All the best,

AndrewP

davedmaine

Post by davedmaine » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:09 am

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for the info regarding the census. So you did find a 1911 census with my grandfather as a 6 year old . That is so great!
I'll have to take a look at the site you suggested. Did you happen to see if their was an address to where he and his family resided?

Thank you - Joy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:23 am

Hi Joy,

Their address is on that census page.

The street in current condition can be seen at:
Google Streetview of East Fountainbridge

The house would have been a early 19th century tenement flat on the right hand side on this east facing view, but has been demolished (in the mid 1970s if I remember rightly).

Beside the address at the top of the page, "Walkers Pend" has been written. On the map shown by the link below, Walkers Pend can be seen. That makes it in the right foreground of the Google Streetview given above (by the lady pedestrian).

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74415750

All the best,

AndrewP

davedmaine

Post by davedmaine » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:17 am

Hi Andrew...
Thank you so so much for the google maps. I can't believe that the hotel I am staying in on my vacation to Edinburgh, my grandfather once lived right around the corner. I did directions to the different street locations and my grandfather lived on Fountainbridge St and the hotel I'm staying is on Bread St. I wouldn't have ever guessed it was so close. It's to bad the original building is no longer there, but to be in the same area that he once lived feels so great!
Was there a number to the house? or whoever else lived there?

It looks like Walkers Pend is no longer there too, but it looks like the area still exist. From what I can see on google map it's now called Kennedy Walk, if I'm correct.

I really do appreciate the info and I look forward to seeing the area for myself.

Thank you so much for you help All the best, - Joy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:02 am

davedmaine wrote:Was there a number to the house? or whoever else lived there?
Hi Joy,

There is a lot of other info there (address, people, age, count of children born to the marriage, count of children surviving at the time of the 1911 census, occupation, where born, and more). You are best to download the page to see the lot.

The two counts tell you how many birth certificates thee should be for children, and pre-1911 death certificates for children to this couple. You are lucky to be dealing with a very uncommon surname, it should make finding this info quite efficient, and also allow you to go back to the next generation or more, assuming they were in Scotland.

All the best,

AndrewP

davedmaine

Post by davedmaine » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:48 am

Thank you again for all your help and responding so quickly, Andrew.

I was able to download the census from the ScotlandPeoples site and see it for myself. I'm so glad to have it for my records and family tree.

Do you know if there are other censuses after 1911 in Edinburgh or is this the last one recorded?

Best Regards - Joy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:14 am

HI Joy,

The censuses have been every 10 years since 1801, with the exception of 1941. 1801 to 1831 are mostly head-counts rather than names, so are generally not considered to be of much use in genealogy. 1841 to 1911 are all available online, on ScotlandsPeople for the Scottish ones. The censuses are subject to 100 years closure, so there is nothing newer than 1911 available at this time.

All the best,

AndrewP