Gunning/Gunn Family

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

EllenGanssle

Gunning/Gunn Family

Post by EllenGanssle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me. I am searching for my great-grandfather's family.
Parents
John Gunning b. 1839
Susan McComisky b. 1844

Children
Michael b.1862
Mary b. 1863
John b. 1865 (my great-grandfather)
Margaret b. 1867
James b. 1870 d. 1870

I have the marriage certificate for John and Susan. I have the birth certificates for all the children and the death certificate for James. I can not find any census information for the family while they were still together. After James died in 1870, I can't find any of them on the 1871 Census. In 1881, John is at Parkhead Reformatory. Michael is living in Midlothian. Margaret is at the Catholic Orphanage for Girls on Abercrombie Street. In 1891, Michael and John are living together in Kilmarnock. In 1901, John is married with children in Kilmarnock, and Michael is living in Kilmarnock also.

I can't find out what happened to the parents, John and Susan, or their daughter, Mary. I can't find death certificates or any sources after James dies in 1870. I can't find any sources for Margaret after 1881. Somewhere along the way, probably at Parkhead, John and Michael change their name to Gunn.

My grandmother was born in Kilmarnock in 1903, and she did not know her father growing up. She eventually emigrated to America with her mother and siblings, and never saw her father again. I don't know what ever happened to him, or his brother, Michael.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thank You!

nelmit

Re: Gunning/Gunn Family

Post by nelmit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Hello and welcome to Talking Scot. :D

A quick search at SP indexes a death of a Susan McComisky/Gunn in 1876 at St Rollox.

Since she died in Glasgow and the children were young I think there would be a poorhouse application and the children would have been boarded out. Maybe this is why you find them in different locations in 1881.

Regards,
Annette

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Another search at SP shows a Susan Gunn age 34 at Calton in 1871.

I think Michael married Ellen McIvor in 1911 at Kilmarnock.

The Glasgow voters roll shows a Michael and Ellen Gunn living at Anderston in 1922. There is also a John Gunn registered at the same address. In 1923 a Michael Gunn, born 1861, dies at Anderston.

Unfortunately I can't find a death for Ellen McIvor/Gunn or a John Gunn to back up my theory that this is your Michael.

I'll keep hunting and others will be too.

Regards,
Annette

EllenGanssle

Post by EllenGanssle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank You so much, Annette!

It never occurred to me that Susan would have changed her name also. When her baby, James, died in 1871, the name was still Gunning. I just figured the boys had their name changed in the poorhouse.

Why would they change their name? Maybe to sound Scottish instead of Irish?

Also, would it probably mean that her husband is dead if the children are split into the orphanages, or not necessarily?

I was so stuck on this family. I'll look into everything you found!

Thanks again,
Ellen

DavidMK

Post by DavidMK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Ellen, Gordon Gunning was a classmate of mine around 1950.I believe he was born in Camlachie or Parkhead in 1934.His birth is on Scotlands People.Another member, Kenspeckle I think, has more information on his family.
David
Kilgour,Cairns,McNaught,Murray.Park,Thomson,Hannah
Cunningham,Marshall,Dun, McCrossan,
McFarlane,McMillan, Connel, Waters.Torley;Scannell;Kean;Howard;Kinsella