Adams,Crawford,Young,Leadbetter,Simpson
Robertson
to name a few

Jack

Re: William Steell/Steel/Steele

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:02 am

Hi Liz,
Welcome to TalkingScot!
The 1841 & 1851 All Scotland censuses should soon be online at ScotlandsPeople.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

A lot of censuses (ongoing project) are on FreeCEN http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Scottish status page at http://home.chilitech.net/~mmjeffery/myweb9/index.htm
--
Meanwhile there's this from FreeCEN,

Piece: SCT1841/685 Place: Canongate-Midlothian Enumeration District: 49: Folio: 49 Page: 10
Civil Parish: St Cuthbert's Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: South & West
Address: 2 St Patricks Square
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
STEELE William M 30 Carver & Gilder Midlothian
STEELE Euphemia F 20 Midlothian
STEELE John M 2 Midlothian
STEELE William M 9m Midlothian
SCOTT Margaret F 15 Female Servant Midlothian
--
Some children from the IGI -
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

JOHN STEELL - Birth: 20 MAY 1839 Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
WILLIAM GOURLAY STEELL - Birth: 10 SEP 1840 South Leith, Midlothian, Scotland
GEORGE FORSYTH STEEL - Birth: 13 OCT 1842 Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
FREDERICK STEELL - Birth: 20 MAR 1845 Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
MARGARET STEELL - Birth: 28 SEP 1847 Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
ROBERT STEELL - Birth: 29 MAR 1855 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
GERSHOM STEELL Male Birth: 10 MAY 1857 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
--
I'm sure i've seen someone searching this same William Gourlay Steele & wife Euphemia Forsyth.
Possibly on ScotlandsPeople's Discussion Group before they pulled the plug on it?
--
Jack

liz.lacey

William Steell/Steel/Steele

Post by liz.lacey » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:50 am

Hi Jack
thank you so much
for finding my family
its really appreciated.
Willam Gourlay Steell is the brother of
John Robert Steell sculptor
and Gourlay Steell queen victorias animal painter.
mt GG grandad was a monument carver and not famous like his 2 brothers who are both quite well documented in the scotsman newspaper.
williams son Gershom Gouraly was my g grandad and his daughter jeanie Steell was my gran.
so thank you again for your help intracing them in the census
im a very happy lady
i was trying to find out the forsyth family ties a while back
without much luck so it may have been that, that you seen
i think euphemias father was a John Forsyth who lived in hope st in edinburgh( i got this from her marriage to william in 1838) and I think he was a butler as this information was obtained from euphemias death certificate.
i cant find any birth cert for her she was b 1820c in the cannongate in edinburgh. but i can find no record of the event. I belive her mother was a margaret Dickie this name was also obtained from euphemias death cert in 1881.
Wishing you a very Happy and Prosperous new year for 2006
Best regards
Liz lacey :D
looking for,
Steell,Anderson,Barclay,Simpson,Forsyth,
Adams,Crawford,Young,Leadbetter,Simpson
Robertson
to name a few

7sunnyside

Re: William Steell/Steel/Steele .....

Post by 7sunnyside » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Liz,
My gg grandparents are WILLIAM GOURLAY STEELL ( b.1840) and JANE McLAREN (b.1852), father of JOHN STEELL (b.1882). John & his brother WILLIAM RICHARD STEELL left Scotland & came out to Australia.
John married ANNIE PULLER ANDERSON in Scotland and had GEORGINA ANDERSON STEELL (my Nanna). I would desperately love to hear from you or anyone else who is related or knows more about any of my family. You can also e-mail me : rjcrooks AT hotmail DOT com
Kind Regards,
Rebecca.

Edit: email address altered by admin to foil spam bots.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello Rebecca and [TS_welcome]

Liz hasn't been on the forum since January of 2008, so she may not see your message. You could try to send her a PM (click on the pm button next to one of her posts) and if she still has the same email address she should get a notification.

In the meantime, if you have any specific puzzles to figure out about your family, there are plenty of us here who would be glad to give it a try!

All the best,
Sarah

SandySandilands

Post by SandySandilands » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I did some research into this family at one stage as Mary Marr, wife of Gershom Steell appeared in some documents I was researching.

If I remember correctly, Mary had a sister Rossie Marr who married THE John Menzies http://www.johnmenziesplc.com/Data/Site ... dition.pdf

I'll dig out what I can find.

Sandy

7sunnyside

Post by 7sunnyside » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi Sarah and Sandy, thank you for replying, and yes please any help at all would be greatly appreciated,xx Rebecca

ARC

Post by ARC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi my name is Fiona Jane Barclay my mum was the late Jean Simpson daughter of Robert Simpson and Florence Jenkins Tudor(Nee)my Great grandmother was Jeanie jardine Steell daughter of William Gourlay Steell . Sadly my grandmother passed away on November 5 2019 at the age of 91 years and aunty Agnus Bennet grandads sister passed away in December 2019 aged 91 years. One son remains living of great Granny jeanie he will be 100 years this year amazing man and a gem to the family . Their is 4 great grand children myself , my sister Shona my cousin Neil and my cousin Claire who i believe lives in the states and has Sir John Steell curly dark hair . We all live here in Edinburgh and William Gourlay Steell is buried in south Leith Parish so i managed to trace this weekend. Hope this is helpful in your search. x :D

liz.lacey1

Post by liz.lacey1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:55 pm

ARC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:20 pm
Hi my name is Fiona Jane Barclay my mum was the late Jean Simpson daughter of Robert Simpson and Florence Jenkins Tudor(Nee)my Great grandmother was Jeanie jardine Steell daughter of William Gourlay Steell . Sadly my grandmother passed away on November 5 2019 at the age of 91 years and aunty Agnus Bennet grandads sister passed away in December 2019 aged 91 years. One son remains living of great Granny jeanie he will be 100 years this year amazing man and a gem to the family . Their is 4 great grand children myself , my sister Shona my cousin Neil and my cousin Claire who i believe lives in the states and has Sir John Steell curly dark hair . We all live here in Edinburgh and William Gourlay Steell is buried in south Leith Parish so i managed to trace this weekend. Hope this is helpful in your search. x :D
hi there fiona

my name is liz haven been on this site for a long time even forgo my info to get on had to re register
i am your mums cousin Elizabeth i didn even know that Jean had passed , i am so sorry about that
i now live in torquay i lost my husband 5 years ago
if you would like to chat you can contact me at elizabeth.lacey@btinternet.com much easier than here i have the steell family tree going way back into 1720 s i have lots of info too much to even print off now liz

liz.lacey1

Post by liz.lacey1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 pm

7sunnyside wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:24 pm
Hi Liz,
My gg grandparents are WILLIAM GOURLAY STEELL ( b.1840) and JANE McLAREN (b.1852), father of JOHN STEELL (b.1882). John & his brother WILLIAM RICHARD STEELL left Scotland & came out to Australia.
John married ANNIE PULLER ANDERSON in Scotland and had GEORGINA ANDERSON STEELL (my Nanna). I would desperately love to hear from you or anyone else who is related or knows more about any of my family. You can also e-mail me : rjcrooks AT hotmail DOT com
Kind Regards,
Rebecca.

Edit: email address altered by admin to foil spam bots.
hi there rebecca
we are related i have lots off info on the steells going back to 1720
if you would like to contact me at
elizabeth.lacey@btinternet.com