Margaret Crosgrove calling

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

jacktorran

Re: Margaret Crosgrove calling

Post by jacktorran » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 pm

I see by the posting that you are searching Torrance in Lanarkshire. According to publications(not documented) my direct ancestor Andrew Torrence(Torrance) was born at Larkhall 1735 and died there in 1805. I do have OPR showing his daughter was christened in Sorn and listing him as father and Marrion Gibb as mother. Their sons: THomas, John. James, Benjamin and William from whom I descend all came to Canada in the early 1800s and did well.
I would be glad to share/compare information. I have had my DNA tested.

Jack Torrance
My email address is jacktorran (insert the AT symbol here) roadrunner.com

Edited to avoid bots picking up e-mail address. Frances

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Hello Jack

Sorry to be slow in replying, I didn't get an email indication of your question, but that may just be a quirk of my computer. Well, I have looked up the only Andrew Torrence of 1734/5 on the OPRs and he was registered in Avondale parish. Not sure if that would be Larkhall. Certainly Larkhall is very close to my Torrence connection at the farm of Crookedstane near Quarter which is in the parish of Hamilton. The father of the Andrew I found is John and that is certainly a family name on my side but there were a lot of Torrences in that area. If you have the names Alexander and Abraham appearing in your tree then there is a distinct possibility of a connection.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

kirstykiwi

Re:

Post by kirstykiwi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Lorna,

I'm researching my grandmothers side of the family, Crosgrove. David Crossgrove & Maria are my 4th generation. Were you able to find out more information about them? I can't find their parents, marriage or Maria's death cert. Where did you find out her last name could possibly be Broadley?

We must be related - I'm happy to share my tree on ancesty.com

Thanks!

Kirsty
Lorna Allison wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:17 pm
Hello Mary

Sorry about this. I thought I had saved a private post so that I could look up my tree etc and then when I went to get back to you, I couldn't find my way in! :oops: Have no idea how to work that "inbox, savedbox etc". Same as I wanted to adjust my username a bit but in my profile area I seem to be able to change everything else but that. Don't worry any site organisers reading this - I know it's me. (The IT Crowd, Channel 4 on a Friday makes me laugh and writhe at the same time. "Is it switched on - AT THE WALL". Oh, yes, I remember it well!.)

Never mind - glad you got back to me. Not that I have any very swinging news. Our Margaret Crosgrove was born in Girvan ca. 1844 to David Crossgrove, weaver, and Maria ms Broadley or Aitken (!) but mainly Aitken and died 23 Jan 1903 in Maybole. Parents were both from Ireland, don't know where. The family moved to Crosshill, Ayrshire where father continued weaving, certainly for a spell , but when he died he was the Church Officer.

Margaret had an illegitimate son called David, who stayed on with Granny in Crosshill when his Mum married William Brackenridge and moved to Maybole. Did you know that in the late 1800s Maybole must have been chock a block with shoemakers? In his mid twenties David went to live with her when Granny died and Margaret's husband died.

Margaret's brother Thomas is our Crosgrove connection. He gave up helping with the weaving and moved to Glasgow where he and his wife became Grocers and Wine and Spirit Merchants in Rose Street (Florence St) Gorbals. I haven't worked out yet how they managed that since they were not exactly loaded - he had been a slater's labourer and she had been in domestic service. However, the family business lasted for almost 100 years.

Well, this doesn't help you much Mary. I think David Crossgrove, weaver, could of course have had other siblings who moved from Ireland to Glasgow. . . . .

Our Crosgroves lived happily ever after on the south side of Glasgow, except for one who landed up in Sorbie Wigtownshire.

Didn't mean to write a book. Sorry not to be more help.

Regards

Lorna

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Hello Kirsty

Glad to catch up with you. This is the content of Maria Crossgoves's (Aitken's) death cert GROS Ref:
605/00 0025

Maria Crossgrove, widow of David Crossgrove, Cotton Weaver died 26 Feb 1899 at 0h 30m am at 2 Abbot St., Maybole aged 87 years. Parents: James Broadley, Clothier (deceased) and Mary Broadley ms Aitken (deceased). Cause of death Senile Decay (15 mo nths)d cert. by L Bowman, Surgeon. Registered by David Crossgrove, grandson on 24 Feb 1899 in District of Maybole, County of Ayr, D Watson, Registrar.

The following are notes I have made for her which may be of interest to you regarding her maiden name.

"The name appears to be Maria Aitken although Broadley is also used. Could be that she was illegitimate and had her Mother's ms of Aitken. Her mother married James Broadley. Her daughter Margaret's marriage cert. gives her mother's first name as Rebecca, but Margaret was illiterate, hence a possible reason for error.

1881 Census of Kirkmichael, Ayr, Scotland - Source: FHL Film 0203593 GRO Ref Volume 584-B Enum Dist 4 Page 15. Maria CROSSGROVE shown widowed, aged 76, Head of house at Dalhowan St. Kirkmichaeel Birthplace given as Girvan, Ayr, Scotland. She was living with daughter Jane, unmarried, aged 39, born Girvan, Ayr Scotland and David, grandson, aged 8, born Crosshill, Ayr, Scotland.

1891 Census, Village of Crosshill, Parish of Kirkmichael, South Ayrshire shows her as Mrs David Crossgrove, Head of house in King Street, aged 83, living on private means, born Ireland. She was living with grandson David Crossgrove, unmarried, aged 18, Lacecutter, born Crosshill, Ayrshire."

I have avoided having my tree on Ancestry because of the scarey tales I have read of misuse by other Ancestry surfers. Thank you for offering access to yours but I don't think that would be possible as I am not a "signed up" member. I must admit that I did find a super 2nd cousin in Canada many years back so it certainly has its good points plus the access to records of course but I would not want our records to appear on it.

I have never followed up the family in Ireland as my courage rather failed me but I do have a note on David Crossgrove's file that he was "possibly born Belfast, Co Down, Ireland" The Crossgroves are my husband's family and his branch come from David & Maria's youngest son Thomas b abt. 1847 Chapeldonan, Girvan, Ayrshire. My husband is David & Maria's gt gt grandson.

Look forward to hearing if this is useful.

Regards

Lorna

Nice to hear from you Kirsty. Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

kirstykiwi

Post by kirstykiwi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Thank you very much Lorna!

I'am not having much luck for them pre-Scotland. It seems records weren't kept the same in Ireland or, I'm just not looking right.

I have't heard of these tales?? It is completely free to see my tree you do need to sign up (no credit card needed) and it's free to sign up to view a shared tree (then they try and make you subscribe, which of course you can say no). The offer is there and I'm more then happy too; private message me your email address.

David and Maria had 8 children.

I'm from New Zealand. Their son, James b.1826 , is my 3rd great grandfather. After a disagreement with his father, David, he changed his name to Cossgrove on arrival in NZ. All my NZ relatives including my grandmother are Cossgrove (maiden).

Kirsty