Shaw.....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

dennyshaw

Shaw.....

Post by dennyshaw » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:11 pm

Can anyone give any suggestions on how to start researching my Shaw ancestors in Scotland. All I know is that my G Grandfather Edward Shaw came from Scotland to the US in December of 1871 and settled in Elgin Illinois. He was born in 1853, and I was told he had a twin brother who died on the trip over, but that's all I know of his ancestry. Is there a place in Scotland where a lot of Shaws resided, or are they spread all over. Sorry to be so general.
thanks, Dennis Shaw

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:36 pm

Hi Dennis

Welcome to TalkingScot. Do you have a copy of your g grandfather's death certificate, it might state where in Scotland he was born.

Regards
Marilyn
Last edited by marilyn morning on Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

dennyshaw

Post by dennyshaw » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:10 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I do have a copy of his death certificate, unfortunetly, it only says scotland. I found a website called Free BMD, and found a number of Edward Shaws listed born in 1853, and the years surrounding that also, but none that lists a twin born at the same time. And without knowing parents names, or exact place of birth, it's impossible to know if any of those could be the right one. It's a shame so little was passed down about him.

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:44 am

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to talkingscot. Do you know if Edward had a middle name? There is an Edward Crombie Shaw listed on IGI born, Dec. 6, 1856 in Central District, Glasgow, Lanark. Couldn't find an Edward born in 1853.

Regards,
Ina

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:49 am

Dennis

I agree that its sad so little was passed down about him. But have you a marriage cert for him? It might reveal a bit more information about his birthplace. Also worth trying would be to find the births certificates of his children to see if there are any hidden clues listed on them. Have you tried to search any of the Ellis Island or Castle Garden records for his arrival into the US?

I've often thought how lucky I am to know where my Morning family lived in Scotland and your question is the reason why.

I wish you much success and perhaps someone more experienced may come up with additional information you.

Regards
Marilyn
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

JustJean

Re: Shaw

Post by JustJean » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:56 am

dennyshaw wrote:Can anyone give any suggestions on how to start researching my Shaw ancestors in Scotland. All I know is that my G Grandfather Edward Shaw came from Scotland to the US in December of 1871 and settled in Elgin Illinois. He was born in 1853, and I was told he had a twin brother who died on the trip over, but that's all I know of his ancestry. Is there a place in Scotland where a lot of Shaws resided, or are they spread all over. Sorry to be so general.
thanks, Dennis Shaw
Hi Dennis

I've got an awful lot of questions for you....here's a few for starters...
1. Do you have Edward's immigration records? If not how do you know he came in December 1871?
2. When and where did Edward die?
3. What did he name his children?
4. Do you have any clues whatsoever to possible siblings?

Assuming you are correct on the date of his immigration it seems that he would have still been in Scotland for the 1871 census so I did a search to see how many possible Edward SHAW would show up in the whole country aged 15-20 and expected the worst. Amazingly there was only 1. Either you are going to be awfully lucky or awfully unlucky but the jury is still out..

This family has several children and a search of the IGI for a post 1855 birth gives us the mother's maiden name of MARTIN...which leads to a parent search which gives us at least 6 names but none of which is Edward. However the 1855 BC of a Robert McKenzie SHAW shows this family has been in Greenock all along. Parents John and Elizabeth were married there and if I can read the poor handwriting well enough there are enough surviving males in 1855 to account for more children than appear on the 1871 census. Only thing....in 1871 there are no twins in the household...unless one has already died or one is living elsewhere. Its going to take a peek at the earlier 1851 and 1861 census films for Scotland to help completely rule out (or maybe in!) this family. Any takers?

Jean

bobj-kirk

Post by bobj-kirk » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:35 am

Dennis,

I can't see any birth listed for Edward Shaw, but I did some digging in the 1881 census for Elgin Illinois.
There is an Edward Shaw 27 from Scotland works in a watch factory, married to Jennie Shaw 21 from Illinois. Is that your G Granffather?

If so, there also is an Alex Shaw 25 from Scotland also works in a watch factory. Could that be Edward's brother?

If Alex is Edward's brother, then you have someone probably born in 1855 or 1856. That makes a big difference because 1855 is the year they started the statutory birth registry in Scotland (previously it was a church registry).

The Scotland's People website shows 17 Alex* Shaws born in Scotland in 1855/1856. You could download images of every birth, but your problem then is how do you identify the correct one? You need a bit more info.

Hope this helps a bit.
-Bob

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:05 pm

Hi Dennis

I’m back again…..had a brilliant notion to check my BIVR Index on the off chance the births were recorded there. Good news is that this Edward’s birth was and here it is:
SHAW, Edward Christening
Birth Date: 4 Dec 1852
Christening Date: 2 Jan 1853 Recorded in: Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Collection: Sir Michael Street ; United Presbyterian
Father: John SHAW
Mother: Elizabeth MARTEN
Source: FHL Film 889485 Dates: 1839 - 1861

Bad news is that it does not indicate that he was a twin. He does have another brother listed born in 1850 but that’s all. If your family story about the twin is accurate then it’s looking very likely that this is not the right person. Too bad.

Jean

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:02 pm

Hi Dennis,

Bob found 27yr old Edward SHAW with Jennie in the 1880 US census. Is he your G-GF?
Can you see any connection to the family below?

Jean - if i may add to your findings? I know you've looked at all these - pity there's no twin.
Was Robert the 4th boy on his 1855 BC?
You're right on the 18yr old Edward that you found in 1871 Greenock - this is the same family.
--
JOHN SHAW
ELISABETH MARTIN
Marriage: 02 JUL 1840 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

JOHN SHAW - born abt 1841
ELIZABETH SHAW - Christening: 02 JUL 1843 Sir Michael Street United Presbyterian, Greenock
MARY MCARTHOR SHAW - Christening: 29 MAR 1846 Sir Michael Street United Presbyterian, Greenock [missing 1851 census]
JANET CRAWFORD SHAW - Christening: 21 MAY 1848 Sir Michael Street United Presbyterian, Greenock [missing 1851 census]
NIEL SHAW Birth 9 Sep 1850 Christening: 29 Sep 1850 Sir Michael Street ; United Presbyterian Greenock
EDWARD SHAW Birth: 4 Dec 1852 Christening: 2 Jan 1853 Recorded in: Greenock
ROBERT MCKENZIE SHAW - Birth: 17 FEB 1855 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock
MARGARET MCLELLAN SHAW - Birth: 09 JUL 1857 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock
HAMILTON BROWN SHAW - Birth: 28 FEB 1861 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock
--
1841 census
John SHAW, 25, carpenter
Elizabeth, 18
John, 1
&
1851 census
John SHAW, 38
Elizabeth, 28
John, 9
Elizabeth, 7
Neil, 1
--
1881 Census Place: West Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Dwelling: 6 Mearns St
Source: FHL Film 0203570 GRO Ref Volume 564-1 EnumDist 19 Page 6
John SHAW M 65 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Ship Wright
Elizabeth SHAW M 58 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Wife
--
Jack

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:29 pm

Jack wrote:
Jean - if i may add to your findings? I know you've looked at all these - pity there's no twin.
Was Robert the 4th boy on his 1855 BC?
You're right on the 18yr old Edward that you found in 1871 Greenock - this is the same family.
--
1851 census
John SHAW, 38
Elizabeth, 28
John, 9
Elizabeth, 7
Neil, 1
--
Jack
Dennis forgive me for hijacking your thread for a moment.....Jack your replies are always a welcome addition...you certainly don't ever need my permission to add anything! :) In reply to your question was Robert the 4th male??? Your guess is as good as mine..... The figures looked to me like 4 males and 2 females with 2 children deceased.....but it also looked to me like this was Elizabeth's ninth or tenth child. The word definitely ended in "nth"....not an eighth and seventh wouldn't add up right. I'm having a bit of trouble making the math come out right and was really hoping the census would show another son..... #-o

Dennis I really hope you can shed some more light on this search!!

Jean