Haldane of Hawick Information

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dereksteven

Haldane of Hawick Information

Post by Dereksteven » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi Folks,

My first post in here so hopefully I am doing the right thing.

I am having difficulty in trying to find my great great great grandfather - Robert Henry Haldane born about 1847 in Hawick, Roxburghshire.

According to his marriage certificate his father was Andrew Haldane and his mother Elizabeth Middleton and both were deceased when Robert married in Neilston, Renfrewshire on 4th April 1870.

Searches on IGI etc. reveal nothing for his birth entry and nothing again for the census years 1851 and 1861.

Confusingly, his death certificate 12 Jan 1906 states his father as Robert and his mother as Elizabeth Nicol but I am assuming his son John who reported the death was unsure of Robert's father and mother since they were deceased before he was born.

I have tried to pm a Heather Haldane who was also trying to track down information on Robert Henry Haldane but haven't heard from her.

Any assistance would be very valuable.

Thanks and regards

Derek S Haldane

WilmaM

Re: Haldane of Hawick Information

Post by WilmaM » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Welcome to Talking Scot Derek [TS_welcome]

I thought Haldane was a fairly normal, but not very common, name that would be easy to find - how wrong I was!

So far I've found Heldon, Houldon, Halden, Holden, Holdane, Holdon and Holding...

So I think you are going to have to be inventive in your search terms - using the phonetic or fuzzy matching options on Scotlands People.

freecen.org is a great way to check census entries for free cross matching with the official ones on Scotlands People.

I did have a quick look but all the results don't match in some way or another with the information you've given [age, place of birth or parent's names] but you should probably find them if you bear in mind the spelling variations.
Wilma

Dereksteven

Post by Dereksteven » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi Wilma,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes I also agree that there are numerous versions of Haldane but depending on where they are located dictates how the name is pronounced and hence the different spellings considering the literacy levels at the time or that the census enumerator writes down what he hears what's being said.

I've been on SP but Robert Henry Haldane's birth is (presumably) before the statutory records for BDM's started in 1855 and I will try freecen.org for cross matching.

If you need the other information I have on my Haldanes then by all means have a look here -
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 716/family

Thanks and regards

Derek

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Derek,

Hopefully Heather will get in touch. Meanwhile here is an old post of hers that makes interesting reading in case you haven't seen it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33&hilit=haldane+heather

Regards,
Annette

Dereksteven

Post by Dereksteven » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi Annette,

Thanks for the info and yes it was a very interesting read.

I will await Heather's reply with further information if she has any.

In the meantime thanks to you all for your input.

Regards

Derek

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:05 am

Hello Derek,
Sorry I hadn't replied before now. The Robert Haldane you are looking at is my 2nd great grandfather.I come through his son Robert Henry Haldane to my Grandpa Duncan Haldane. I found him to be especially challenging.He either liked to tell porkies or just gave the information to the best he remembered . But you will have a merry chase if you follow his leads. I was lucky to get a chance to spend 2 days at New Register House where the records were availlable at the time I was chasing him. I never found his birth nor his wife Jane McIlwee. But I used other records to untangle this branch and even to take it back farther through his father Andrew, Grand Father Andrew, Great Grand Father John and great great grandfather Nicholas.
I would love to share what I have found and see where you and yours fit on the branches and twigs. I will send you a Private Message with my contact details so that I can better share my data. And we can also continue here in the forum if you wish. My cousin remembers his son Robert as he was still living when my cousin was a wean.
Looking forward to working with you.
HeatherH
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.