Edinburgh 1941

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Hugh MacLean

Edinburgh 1941

Post by Hugh MacLean » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Is there anyway of finding out who was living at an address in Edinburgh in 1941? Is there a directory or such like that can be searched?
Thank you
Regards
Hugh

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:12 pm

Three sources come to mind - 1) Post Office Directory, not sure if they would list everyone. 2) Valuation Roll, could be difficult to find due to the arragement and size. 3) Electoral Roll.

Eric
Eric

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi Hugh,

Two possibilities come to mind, but unfortunately neither is online.

Post Office Directory - if they subscribed to it. Can be found in libraries, such as the Edinburgh Room of the Edinburgh Central Library or the National Library of Scotland, both in George IV Bridge, Edinburgh. Or on the bookshelves of New Register House. These directories were issued regularly (two-yearly?) and included address listings by street, and business adverts.

Voters' Roll - again, for Edinburgh, to be found in the Edinburgh Room of Edinburgh Central Library. It should list eligible voters at that time - those age 21 and over.

See Edinburgh Room webpage
E-mail address: edinburgh.room@edinburgh.gov.uk

I don't know how much research they can do by e-mail request, but it should be worth a try.

Your year of interest was during the war years, it is possible that these sources may not have been updated as regularly while resources were concentrated elsewhere.

All the best,

AndrewP

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi Hugh

If the persons at the address happened to have a telephone ( but in 1941 not so many did I think ) , the old telephone directories are online at Ancestry.co.uk.
This particular Ancestry database requires a surname to search it ... but you can get round this by going to the general "Advanced Search" page , entering the address in the "Keyfields" box and clicking "Only show results from the UK and Ireland" . I would advise not to enter county .
You should then get a list of Search results for various databases , one of which will hopefully be "British Phone Books" ....

This method has worked for me ! ( If the street name is also a surname , you may get a lot of false hits ) .

Other than searching on line newspapers or just googling the address , I can't think of anything else "online" .

Hope this helps
Sally

Hugh MacLean

Post by Hugh MacLean » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:55 pm

My thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.
I will look at all of your suggestions and take it from there.
Regards
Hugh

Hugh MacLean

Post by Hugh MacLean » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:28 pm

I would just like to thank you all again for your help. I followed the advice given and contacted Edinburgh. The Valuation Roll has given me the information I was seeking.

Thanks again for all your good advice - most appreciated.
Regards
Hugh

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:21 am

Hugh MacLean of Fort William? I don't suppose you happen to be related to the MacLeans of Ardgour, do you?

Regards,
Ann

Hugh MacLean

Post by Hugh MacLean » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Sorry Ann, no relation to the Ardgour clan.
Regards
Hugh

Hugh MacLean

Post by Hugh MacLean » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:12 pm

As a follow on to my request, I have received by email from Edinburgh Room the details that I requested but I now need to get a hard copy of the Valuation Roll to pass on to the relevant authority [CWGC]. I have been advised that I need to contact the Scottish National Archives for this.
Can anyone advise if this can be done without visiting I am not in a position to visit Edinburgh. Grateful for any advice you can give. Thank you.
Regards
Hugh

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Hugh
NAS (the National Archives of Scotland) can be contacted via their web site: www.nas.gov.uk

If your request is quite specific, e.g. you have a year and a precise page or address for instance, then they should be able to quote you a price for a photocopy.

Best wishes
Lesley