21 Hope Street Glasgow

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

Re: 21 Hope Street Glasgow

Post by ninatoo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:30 pm

And I found a Thomas Robertson who was a Justice of the Peace at 180 Hope Street - is he possibly the same one?
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Currie wrote:Is this the spot? http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... ,,0,-26.66

What a fantastic looking railway station! Imagine trying to keep all that glass clean in the days of steam and soot. It makes me feel like getting out the train set, or reinstall the train game more like it.

Alan
Yes Alan that's the place, the Wikipedia have a really impressive photo of just how vast that glass roof really is;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Central_station
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks Wilma,

There are some fantastic photos there, including a massive 7251x1766 pixel panorama.

All the best,
Alan

Sue Erskine

Post by Sue Erskine » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Thank you all for your replies, I'm now in Glasgow, staying literally just around the corner from Hope Street at a hotel on Argyle Street. Unfortunately it was dark by the time we arrived but I'll be out shortly looking for the building and will then visit again tomorrow in the daylight to take some piccies.

Nina, thanks for the list of occupants of the building, I don't think any of those have any bearing on what my Grandfather did for a living but I'll take a long look when I'm back home with all of my information to hand.

Wishing you all a Happy Spirited Hogmanay!
Sue

Rellies include: Watson, Campbell, Erskine, Kennedy (All Airdrie area)

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi Sue,

I wonder if any of those names are on the marriage registration, as the registrar or a witness?

Good luck with pictures; I wish I could do that sort of thing!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Grendlsmother

Post by Grendlsmother » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi Nina

The witnesses seem to be friends of the couple, judging by their employment, domestic servants etc. The only other signature is that of the registrar - George P. Strathern (? last name a bit unclear).
Main lines: McCormick(mack); Connel; Others: McDonald; McFadzean; Brown; Kerr and many more

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:33 pm

The 'declaration' involved in a marriage by declaration could be made anywhere.

The more likely reason for a visit to a solicitor's office was to get the affadavits prepared, - those of the couple and the witnesses, - prior to a visit to a Sheriff Court, so that they could obtain the Warrant that could then be presented to the registrar and the details of the marriage entered in the Register Book of Marriages.

The Sheriff Court didn't legalise the marriage, - it just provided the necessary documentation so that the registrar could register the marriage in his register.

In the eyes of Scots Law, the marriage legally existed the moment the declararaton was made.

Many folk travelled quite a distance, e.g. Glasgow to Edinburgh was far from uncommon, as they didn't want to appear in their local Sheriff Court where a local newpaper reporter might get some interesting details for publication!

There was no restriction on location, any Sheriff Court would do.

mb

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:27 am

Having has a richt guid think about this, it occurs to me that a lawyer could would well have felt much more 'comfortable' about the situation, i.e. preparing the necessary affadavits for presentation to a Sheriff Court, if the irregular marriage declarations were made in his presence, even if that involved a repeat of earlier declarations .....

Just a thought............

mb

John L. Scott.

Post by John L. Scott. » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 am

My Grandfather, Alec Scott was The caretaker at 21 hope St. from the early 1930s until his death in 1947. He and his family lived in a large,comfortable flat on the top floor of the building. Upon his death My Grandmother and his daughters and two sons continued to do the caretaking duties until each of them were married. My grandmother and my aunt Ada continued to do the caretaking until around 1951. My father John Stirling Scott and My mother edith took over the job and the flat until 1954. I was 10 years old when we moved in and have many memories of the buiding and the area. I do not recall that there was a warehouse there at that time. but I know that it was all offices. It was a long time ago and if I remember any more I will repost. Thank you. John L. Scott

John L. Scott.

Post by John L. Scott. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Upon reviewing my first posting I found that I had made an error in the chronology pertaining to the period after the passing of my grandfather. At the time of his death My grandmother, my aunt Ada and her two children were the only ones still at home. Both of the adult sons were married and had their own homes and families.