Statutory Death Registration HELP Please

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

mvy_1

Statutory Death Registration HELP Please

Post by mvy_1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 am

Wondering how to interpret the deceased mother on this death registration. I'm guessing she was Jane McGregor when she died, Jane McArthur before she married and Jane McArthur after she married, which would probably tell me she had a 2nd marriage to ? McGregor after she married James. Need some help on this one please. :?

Margaret
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
McArthur 1824 Glasgow, Scotland
McGibbon possibly Doune, Scotland
Melville 1789 Arngask, Fife
Browne 1817 Kennoway, Fife
Hoy 1794 Strathmiglo, Fife
Goodwilly/Hoy Marriage about 1814

Tracey
Global Moderator

Re: Statutory Death Registration HELP Please

Post by Tracey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:16 am

Following what is written it looks like she was a Ms McArthur who then married 1st a McArthur then 2nd married a mcGregor.
You will need to look for the marriage or maybe death certs to be sure.
Did she have any McArthur children ? Is there a chance she had illigitimate children and they (her children) *ligitimised* them by adding a McArthur husband / marriage on certificates assuming there may not have been a McArthur husband ?

Thats my efforts but someone may come up with another explanation............
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Margaret & Tracey

I read it as did both of you - Jane died as Mrs McGregor, she was previously Mrs McArthur and previously to that Miss McArthur but - it would need checking.

I did a search on SP (not knowing any dates - so 1855-2009) for a Jane McGregor - other surname McArthur & there are only 4, so one hopefully is the death certificate of your Jane. There is 1 only record for a James McArthur marrying a Jane McArthur (1876). Is this the right date for your couple?

Trish

Edit: I just noticed you have Hoy in Fife 1794 - I have some Hoys in my family - their roots are in Portmoak, Kinross (one being my ggg grandmother who died in Kirkcaldy, Fife)- any likelihood of your family starting in Kinross?

mvy_1

Post by mvy_1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:45 am

Hi Trish,
I have only just discovered the Hoy connection. Christian Hoy born 1794 Strathmiglo. Her Father is John Hoy married Margaret Goodwilly. The only other info is another child Euphemia born 1792. I do however have a connection with this family in New Zealand, but not ready to go down the line as I'm trying to get my records in order first.
Thanks for looking at my question. Will look further into that.
Margaret.
McArthur 1824 Glasgow, Scotland
McGibbon possibly Doune, Scotland
Melville 1789 Arngask, Fife
Browne 1817 Kennoway, Fife
Hoy 1794 Strathmiglo, Fife
Goodwilly/Hoy Marriage about 1814

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:40 pm

mvy_1 wrote:Wondering how to interpret the deceased mother on this death registration. I'm guessing she was Jane McGregor when she died, Jane McArthur before she married and Jane McArthur after she married, which would probably tell me she had a 2nd marriage to ? McGregor after she married James. Need some help on this one please. :?

Margaret
Hi Margaret

Hmmmmm.

As the entry stands then this deceased person's mother was born Jane McARTHUR, who then married James McARTHUR, and then, after James McARTHUR died, re-married a Mr McGREGOR. Somewhere along the way she had a child with James McARTHUR.

The only fly in the ointment is that there isn't a closely matching Jane McARTHUR/Mr McGREGOR marriage in the Scottish records.

A wee bit more detail wil help, e.g. the name, place and date of the death concerned, plus the dates of death of James McARTHUR and Jane McARTHUR; not least since it was far from uncommon for the informant to get a bit confused when visiting the registrar's office to report the death, - the registrar could only record what he was told.

Marriages between folk of the same surname were far from uncommon. Between 1855 and 1930 there were 42 M*cARTHUR/M*cARTHUR marriages !

In this case, however, add in the given names to the search, and there's just the 1876 match.

mb