Please Help With Missing Death.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

cruiser

Please Help With Missing Death.....

Post by cruiser » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:21 am

I have Jane Duncan married Thomas Yule on 13/9/1872 in Dundee. I have the Marriage Cert. They had 2 sons David in 1873 and William in 1875. Thomas was found dead at Dunblane Railway Station in 1883 and his death cert says he was the widower of Jane Duncan. Neither Jane nor Thomas appear on the 1881 census anywhere. Both of the boys do. One living with his grandmother and the other in hospital. I cannot find the death of Jane recorded anywhere in Scotland or England. What can I do next?

DavidWW

Re: Please Help With Missing Death

Post by DavidWW » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:33 am

cruiser wrote:I have Jane Duncan married Thomas Yule on 13/9/1872 in Dundee. I have the Marriage Cert. They had 2 sons David in 1873 and William in 1875. Thomas was found dead at Dunblane Railway Station in 1883 and his death cert says he was the widower of Jane Duncan. Neither Jane nor Thomas appear on the 1881 census anywhere. Both of the boys do. One living with his grandmother and the other in hospital. I cannot find the death of Jane recorded anywhere in Scotland or England. What can I do next?
Cruiser

Have you only searched on the basis of "Jane", or have you tried variants such as Jean and Jean[n]ie?

Worth a try on scotlandspeople.gov.uk using just "J", as the search engine assumes a wildcard, i.e. it takes "J" as being "J*". Make sure that you select "Female", otherwise you will pick up John, James, etc., etc.

Might be worth waiting a few weeks, as there is going to be an upgrade of the scotlandspeople.gov.uk site that may well include the new on-line possibility of a cross-check search for a married female death on the basis of her maiden and married surname(s) (this has always been the case with the search engine on the system at New Register in Edinburgh), but please realise that you are at the mercy of the informant in terms of the info that they supplied, and the indexer of the register in terms of correctly picking up and indexing the various surnames ..........

Davie

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:12 pm

Thanks very much for that. Whilst on the subject, I believe Thomas committed suicide, where would I find an official report or newspaper article?

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:17 pm

cruiser wrote:Thanks very much for that. Whilst on the subject, I believe Thomas committed suicide, where would I find an official report or newspaper article?
Unlikely that there was more than a brief investigation by the Procurator Fiscal to confirm the circumstances and cause of death.

If you examine the 1883 death register entry you will see an annotation in the LH column referring to the "Result of a Precognition" and an entry in the RCE, - Register of Corrected Entries, - this will be the transcription of a single page report from the PF. You have a choice, - pay £10 now for an "extract", a formal copy of the death register entry, and the text of the RCE should be typed on the back; or wait a few weeks/months when the linked digitised images of the RCE will come on line at scotlandspeople.gov.uk............

It's unlikely that any material from the PF's office from that time has survived, or from the Sheriif Court if it went to a formal hearing.

For further info on that and for info the newspapers likely to have been involved; go back to the www.talkingscot.com index page, and, under the Local Studies Libraries heading, look for the details of the libraries in Perthshire (Dunblane) and Dundee, and make contact with them in the first instance.

wkr

Davie

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:07 am

Many many thanks for all your help. I have found the SP site invaluable in searching from England but sometimes one needs a little extra!!

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:31 am

cruiser wrote:Many many thanks for all your help. I have found the SP site invaluable in searching from England but sometimes one needs a little extra!!
My pleasure !!

Orraverybest

Davie

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:37 am

Just an update. I got the newspaper cutting from the A K Bell library! It was grand to actually read about it especially as it was a bit weird the way he did it! Poor chap. Thanks a lot.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:20 pm

cruiser wrote:Just an update. I got the newspaper cutting from the A K Bell library! It was grand to actually read about it especially as it was a bit weird the way he did it! Poor chap. Thanks a lot.
Nae prob, glad to have been of help!

Any chance of a scan and sending it by email to davidwwebster@compuserve.com ?

As high quality a scan as possible, please, no less than 300dpi, greyscale, preferably a TIFF, would be greatly appreciated. No problem at my end, as I have broadband. If you don't have broadband, then email me, and we'll sort out how else to do it.

Thanks

Orraverybest

Davie

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:41 am

Hi Davie
Would you be interested in a newspaper article on a rather nasty death at the Ferguslie Mill in Paisley
My Robina Townsend came to something of a sticky end in 1891 :shock:
Sylvia
Searching in Scotland for
Townsend/Townsley, Jeffrey, Stewart, Conway, Berry, Stevens, Craig, Wallace

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:59 pm

ladybird wrote:Hi Davie
Would you be interested in a newspaper article on a rather nasty death at the Ferguslie Mill in Paisley
My Robina Townsend came to something of a sticky end in 1891 :shock:
Sylvia
Hi Sylvia

Without withing in any way to sound morbid, yes please :roll:

Thanks

Orraverybest

Davie