george whyte gordon help please?

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

hunbun

george whyte gordon help please?

Post by hunbun » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi all
I am looking for the marriage of George whyte gordon who was married to a Annie Irving??. They were married August 14 1909 in Aberdeen scotland. This information came from their first childs birth certificate, Evelyn whyte gordon who was born in 1911 Dumfries. I have put question marks after Annies surname as it isnt very clear on the birth certificate.
Any help greatly appreciated. I have checked scotlands people but still come up with nothing so hoping another pair of eyes can spot anything. x x

apanderson

Re: george whyte gordon help please?

Post by apanderson » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Hello hunbun,

I can't see any marriages in Aberdeenshire in 1909 for the couple either.

There only appears to be one in 1909 registered differently:
George Gordon to Jessie Ann Ogilvie and the same one, George Gordon to Jessie Ann Ogilvie Gordon.

It's not unknown for the date/place of marriage to be listed wrongly.

Anne

hunbun

Post by hunbun » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for looking, the 1911 census says they had been married for 2 years so it must be around the 1909 mark, just done another search without the place added but still nothing im afraid x ](*,)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi hunbun,

The writing is clearer on her younger sister's birth certificate. Have a look at Florence Whyte Gordon, born Annan, Dumfries-shire in 1912. It confirms what you had made out on Evelyn's birth certificate, so nothing new to go for.

Like you and Anne, I see no sign of a marriage on ScotlandsPeople. My feeling is that it was an irregular marriage that was never registered.

All the best,

AndrewP

hunbun

Post by hunbun » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks Andrew,
Whats an irregular marriage? I thought every marriage had to be registered by law even in them days? If it was irregular does that mean there is know hope of finding his parents?
Thanks Dawn

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Hunbun,

For irregular marriages, have a look in the TalkingScot library:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11070

If they died in Scotland, then their parents should be named on their death certificates. With a name like George Whyte Gordon, there is a fair chance of finding his birth certificate even if you haven't found the death certificate. From the 1911 census page that you have found, you should know where and approximately when he said he was born, and having his full name, you should be able to find his birth certificate. The 1911 census page also gives a middle name for Ann(ie) - so again you have a full name, age and birth place. See if that can lead you to a birth certificate.

Bear in mind, some people fudged their ages on the census form, particularly if there was a significant age difference between the husband and wife. It looks like some of them thought it looked more respectable if their ages were closer.

All the best,

AndrewP

hunbun

Post by hunbun » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for all your help. I have searched for a birth for him but cant find anything unfortunately. He was born in Aberdeenshire and with an unsual name as whyte as a middle name youd think he would of been easy to find being either a birth or death or even marriage but sadly not. i will keep trying as there has to be something he cant just disappear or not exsist at all.
Thanks
Dawn

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Dawn,

What was his age and occupation in 1911?

Regards,
Annette

hunbun

Post by hunbun » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Annette
In 1911 George Whyte Gordon is aged 28 his occupation is a water baliff born in Aberdeenshire. Hes living with his wife Annie and his first daughter Evelyn Whyte Gordon who is 1 month. They were living in Annan Dumfresshire. Married for 2 years.
Dawn

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi Dawn,

Sorry - like you, every avenue I try meets a dead end. I see somebody has a private tree on the family at Ancestry.

I take it you have never found a death entry for him either? What about Ann(ie) - do you know where and when she died and if George was still living then?

The other unusual thing is the use of Whyte as a middle name - did he do this with all his children?

I'm sure you've thought of all these things but just in case..............

Regards,
Annette