george whyte gordon help please?

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

hunbun

Re: george whyte gordon help please?

Post by hunbun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:03 am

HI
Annette,
Thanks for all your help. I am in contact with the guy that has the familytree on Ancestry but he is stuck in the same place as me with the elusive George Whyte Gordon. The 3 children i have found so far all have Whyte as their middle name, and given the spelling you would think he would be easy to find somewhere. I have looked for Annie Gordons death but not found anything , other than her birth where she is down as Annie Kidd Irving. Nothing else on any of them im afraid.

Dawn

momat

Post by momat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:56 am

Hello Dawn,
Did they have a son Stanley Whyte Gordon born 1917 ?
Maureen

hunbun

Post by hunbun » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Hiya
Yes Stanley Whyte Gordon was their son born in 1917, they also had Evelyn Whyte Gordon and Florence Whyte Gordon.
Dawn

momat

Post by momat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi Dawn,
They appear in England on the find my past site
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search

George Whyte Gordon born 1872 died 1957 Bishop Norton
Evelyn Whyte Gordon died 1992 Gainsborough Lincs
Florence Whyte Gordon died 1969 Wolverhampton
Stanley Whyte Gordon died 1995 Gainsborough
Can't pin point Annie there.
Maureen

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Maureen,

I was looking for the death of a George Whyte Gordon born around 1883 as he was 28 in 1911.

Now the death you found is very interesting. Because of the double barrelled naming of his children I had looked for a man with a past. :D

At NAS I found this.......................'Decree of Divorce and for payment of expenses, Mrs Helen Egan Breslin or Whyte v George Whyte otherwise known as George Gordon' but again discounted him because of his age - I decided shaving 10 years off was a bit much.

I think this is them in 1891 at Canal Street, St Nicholas -

George Whyte 18 Granite Cutter born Inverurie
Helen Whyte 18

I've got to say the granite cutter is putting me off but because of the couple of coincidences of the age and place of birth I thought I'd post it anyway.

Later............there is a death in 1964 at Caistor, Lincolnshire of a Ann K Gordon age 74.

Regards,
Annette

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 am

nelmit wrote:Hi Maureen,

I was looking for the death of a George Whyte Gordon born around 1883 as he was 28 in 1911.

Later............there is a death in 1964 at Caistor, Lincolnshire of a Ann K Gordon age 74.

Regards,
Annette
momat wrote:Hi Dawn,
They appear in England on the find my past site
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search

George Whyte Gordon born 1872 died 1957 Bishop Norton
Evelyn Whyte Gordon died 1992 Gainsborough Lincs
Florence Whyte Gordon died 1969 Wolverhampton
Stanley Whyte Gordon died 1995 Gainsborough
Can't pin point Annie there.
The recent England/Wales indexes include date of birth

Evelyn Whyte Gordon born 12 Feb 1911 death registered Dec 1992 Gainsborough
Stanley Whyte Gordon born 4 Oct 1917 death registered May 1993 Gainsborough

The earlier ones only have age at death
Florence W Gordon registered Mar Qtr 1969 age 76 Wolverhampton

There are a number of George W Gordons who died in England at a suitable age to be George Whyte Gordon.
A couple of these
George W Gordon aged 85 death registered Sep qtr 1957 Caistor Lincolnshire (born c. 1872)
(same location as Annie K. Gordon found by Annette)
George W Gordon aged 75 registered Mar qtr 1957 Horwich Lancashire (born c. 1882)
(this one seems the closest match to the age of George in 1911)

I didn't find the George at Bishop Norton - but my source does have some transcription issues :(

Trish

hunbun

Post by hunbun » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Wow thanks you lot, it will take me a while to look through it all but it looks very promising. Will report back with an update shortly x
Dawn

wehenley

Post by wehenley » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:55 am

Dawn has kindly put me on to these posts but I have only just realised that there were two pages. (initially I only looked at the first page) George Whyte Gordon was my maternal grandfather. His daughter Nance is still alive and I have information and photographs from her. She is obviously very interested in what is discovered. I need to take some time to investigate further myself but can add some information here. My Aunt Nance has the year of George's birth as 1883 and his death in 1958 on 21st September. It was my father's birthday and he travelled up with my mother to Spital but grandfather had already died. My mother was Florence Whyte Gordon who was living with us in Gloucestershire until she died 15th June 2007 . The discrepancy in George's birth dates in what has been discovered is intriguing. It would be good to find an official record of his death. I have found the NAS divorce record but not the 1891 census record (must look again). The missing records and discrepancies in others is very frustrating and makes it difficult to confirm any finds. But I suppose that is the nature of such research. Many thanks for the helpful contributions here and any advice on further search opportunities would be much appreciated.

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:44 pm

Welcome to [talkingscot] Wehenley.
I hope that you can sort all the discrepancies & find out more about your family.This is a friendly place & we like to help.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

wehenley

Post by wehenley » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 pm

My thanks to nelmit for her research in the Scottish archives. Her leads have enabled me to find his birth record and marriage details. These together with information from his youngest daughter (my 90 year old aunt) have enabled me to trace his adoption and where he was living etc etc. I have copies of the documents relating to divorce proceedings taken by his first wife four years after he disappeared as a crew member on a ship out of Greenock. I do not know how or when he returned to Scotland and I can find no record of him marrying my grandmother in 1909 as stated on my Aunt's birth certificate. He took ten years off his age for the 1911 census. Lots of information but even more mysteries.