James Tawse's death

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

grace Watson

Re: James Tawse's death

Post by grace Watson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 am

I have been following your exchanges re James Tawse with interest. I am connected to Leochel Cushnie (Ferries, father, Robertson, mother) and know the inter-connections between the families buried there. I have the MI transcriptions of all the gravestones in Leochel-Cushnie, present day, the old St Brides (Cushnie) and the old St Marnoch (Leochel). Here is the MI for Jane Tawse ms Thomson's parents:
Interred Leochel-Cushnie (unpublished) MI 241:
In memory of Alexander Taylor Thomson of Rosedale Gippsland Victoria Australia died Elphillock Cushnie 1st Feb 1889 aged 47 & of his father & mother Peter Thomson late farmer Balnakellie Cushnie died 27th Jan 1861 aged 64, Jane Emslie died 18th June 1862 aged 61
Grace

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Grace and [welcome] to our site. I hope you may find other links relevant to your searches.
Like you I have been interested in the Tawse line although mine originated in Dundee and moved down to Cellardyke in Fife to join my many fisherfolk ancestors. I have found several variants in spelling the name which led to odd transcriptions so it pays to use wildcards as much as possible.
The name Tawse intrigues me as Dundee was a major rope-making and jute town and the word tawse meant a knot although it was adopted by the teaching profession to describe their leather strap used to punish recalcitrant children :shock: :(
I hope Bob is not finished with his searching and will add more info later :D

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Bob Haining

Post by Bob Haining » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Grace,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you for the information on the death of Peter Thomson and Jane Emslie, that confirms what I'd found.

I'll be sending you a PM.
Bob
---------
Researching: Haining, Kirkwood's from Dalmellington/Kilwinning, Filson, Goldie, Pollock.