Help on finding out what this says

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Berowald

Help on finding out what this says

Post by Berowald » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Last week I got a birth on Scotlands people from 1714, However I cannot understand what it says other than a few words:
Image it starts on the third line (the full line) and starts with "John Son of(?) Walter Innes in ----- and -----"

I have had family look at it and none of us can tell what it all says. Here it is in normal brightness.

Original: Image

Thank you if you can help it'd be apreciated ive been working on it for about a week!

(Note: Last two lines don't have anything to do with my ancestor on the first image and the last line on the 2nd doesn't have anything to do with them either so no need for help on them.)

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Help on finding out what this says

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello Berowald,

This is my reading, for what it’s worth:

John Son to Walter Innes in Goukstanes was Baptiz’d: God Fathers and God-Mothers being Master John Innes Minister Anna Urquhart Spouse to John Wood in Gelly mill; John Walker and Janet Spouse in the Pa?for? of K??gedward.

I went to GENUKI to get hints about the place names, but couldn’t find anything that corresponded to the last one, hence all the ???s

Best wishes,
Sarah

Berowald

Post by Berowald » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Thank you so much!

I found that Goukstanes was in Gamrie and MacDuff which fits into the family tree and I also found out that John Innes the Minister was probably Rev. John Innes who was kicked out from his church for having Jacobite views. Probably a Great Uncle as he would have been 65 at his birth. Sadly Gamrie and MacDuff only recorded births from 1704 upwards so I have no idea what I can do with my tree now.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Last one could be King Edward?
A tiny place inland between Turriff and McDuff on the current A947.

A look at gravestones could help? The McDuff cemetery is where some my folks are, and a gravestone gave extra details.

Aberdeen family history have some MI details.
https://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databanks/me ... ns/miindex
Wilma

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:04 pm

WilmaM wrote:Last one could be King Edward?
I think you're right, Wilma =D> I initially thought it started with "King" but the fact that it looks like one word threw me off. I should know better!

john1001

Post by john1001 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Gellymill is also a placename associated with MacDuff